Sunday, October 23, 2005

Dream Some Numbers

I drove by a sign today that told me that the Lotto 6/49 jackpot is up to forty million dollars. It's tempting enough for me to buy a ticket, methinks.

Now I just have to dream of some good numbers to play.

When I was around twelve, my father used to encourage my younger brother and I to develop our psychic abilities. He would sit us down at the dining-room table with a pack of playing cards and hold the cards up one by one up with its back towards us. We would try and guess what card it was by picturing it in our heads.

I remember my brother was much better at it than I was; I never had delusions that I might one day get hired by the Psychic Hotline. But some strange things did happen.

One day my brother and I tried an experiment. One of us would go into one room and draw something on a piece of paper, and then try to project it to the other who was waiting in another room. We would draw what we thought our sibling had drawn.

It was a little spooky.

I drew an apple tree. My brother drew an apple tree.

He drew a house. I drew a house.

We did it maybe three or four times and then decided to quit. I remember we felt decidedly strange about the whole matter, and I don't remember telling our father about it, although he would have been as pleased as punch probably.

We never tried it again, and as far as I know today my brother is as cynical as they come about the existence of psychic ability. But now I wonder if I should give him a call and just see what numbers HE would play.

Or I'll do the other thing my father encouraged us to do when the Jack-pot got big: "Try and dream some numbers".

6 comments:

Julie Julie Bo Boolie said...

Good luck :) wouldn't mind winning that on myself :)

JM said...

That's really cool about your psychic ability. When I was in medical school, one of my friends taught me what the basic lines on the palms meant and I would watch while she read other people's palms. So I started to do it for fun--as I did it more and more, certain images about the people who I read the palms of would flash in my head and I would say these images aloud to the amazement of the person. Many times it would match some aspect of their life.
I stopped doing it cause it started to freak me out. Since then I've forgotten what even the palm creases mean.

Anonymous said...

I don't believe in any kind of ESP, but I do believe in luck.

I once had a spider in the shower. Very frightening.

Woman with a Secret said...

Psychic abilities have always fascinated me. I love reading about that kind of stuff.

Grant said...

I knew you were going to post this. :p

Thomas said...

3, 14, 15, 34, 46 and 52.

;)