Wednesday, January 04, 2006

Windstorms and the Adventures of Melanie

Three nights this week there's been a windstorm. The wind around here had been gusting around eighty to a hundred kilometers per hour. It's really been storming!

One night the power went out and I was *sob* forced to have a luxurious bath by candlelight. Oh, the hardship. :p

When I lie in bed at night, I can hear the tall conifers in the yard next door bowing and swaying in the wind. The sound reminds me of the ocean.

I love the wind, but my co-worker's friend does not. A big tree branch punched its way through their roof the other night, pointy end down. Luckily no-one was hurt.

But speaking of the wind, here is my friend Melanie, with the wind in her glorious hair.


She is leaving on her "mystery" trip in only two weeks. Well, some of us know where she's going but she hasn't told many people yet. Not even her family. She simply grins and says "I've got a plane ticket".

I'm so proud of Mel. She's embarking on an adventure into the unknown. She's sold her house, closed her business, and is not even sure how long she'll be gone for. "If I like it there, I'll stay a while. I might find a job. Who knows?"

Or she might go on to somewhere in Asia and teach English as a second language. Or not. It's all up in the air; she can go where her dreams take her.

I am a little jealous. :)

10 comments:

Mathieu said...

Aren't we all?

The best of luck to her.

Tai said...

I'm ALOT jealous.

But I remember doing that myself, just a few years ago.

:)

Have fun Melanie!

Anonymous said...

aww, I feel so loved!

I'm so excited!! I hope my trip lives up to your expectations ;)

Eric said...

I'm rabidly jealous!!

Pirate said...

Tell mel good luck and may she find adventure at every turn.

Wind through the trees is my own solice.

Crystal said...

Boy that sounds exciting, and what pretty flaming red hair your friend has!

Heidi said...

Wow good for her! Add me to the jealous list. I hope she has the time of her life.

Admin said...

I LOVE adventures! I want to keep my life an adventure.

nicki said...

bath by candle-light..you poor thing..hahaha..sounds like your friend is going to have an amazing time!!

Luke said...

Sounds like an adventure of a lifetime. And the wind can be very comforting, or horribly terrifying. Visualize a warm summer breeze versus midwestern tornadoes. Eeek.

Thanks for commenting on my blog. I'll be back. :)