Tuesday, January 24, 2006

Polls, Spiders, and Elections




Today I read an article in the latest Atlantic Monthly magazine which discussed the cultural beliefs and values of today's American youth. The article cited a Gallup poll which had interviewed teenagers asking them: "What are the greatest fears of today's American youth?"

Now, the number one fear stated was terrorism, perhaps not surprising in this day where teenagers have grown up with the media and events surrounding 9/11. But it was hard for me not to giggle when I read about the #2 Biggest Fear.

Guess what the second most prominent fear listed was, only a single percentage point behind terrorism....

Spiders. ......

Yep, spiders.

Hey, I know not everyone likes the little darlings as much as I do, but come on, Youth of America, spiders are much less of a bother than terrorists. Because if you really, really need to...you can whack a spider with a bedroom slipper and it will not bother you anymore.

Ahem. The aforementioned action is not recommended by me in any way. Killing spiders bad. That is all. :)

I'm never sure whether to believe the statistics in polls like that anyway. Or any poll. Though sometimes they appear to be correct, drat-blast them.

I voted in our federal Canadian election yesterday, after many annoying weeks of political polls.

The polls all said that the fellow I really, REALLY didn't like was likely to become Canada's next Prime Minister, and sure enough he is going to be, but at least he didn't win by as great a margin as they were predicting. It will still be a minority government, thank goodness.

There was a lot of talk beforehand among people (neighbours, friends,co-workers, and relatives included) who were really disheartened by the prospect of this Conservative government being elected, and so they planned to vote strategically.

In a nutshell, to vote for the person or party most likely to have a chance in order to thwart Harper's chances of victory. Even if that meant they voted for somebody they didn't trully want to vote for.

It was an idea I struggled with. I didn't want to vote for my second choice. But I didn't want my own vote to "split" the vote.

In this case I saw their logic was well-intentioned, but in the end I still voted with my heart, for the Green Party, as I always do. The Greens are the underdogs, but so what? I still don't think my vote was wasted.

And at least in my own particular riding, my second choice won, even without my own personal strategic vote. Whew.

Right. I know many of you out there may be bored with Canadian politics, but I stayed up past my bedtime last night watching the results come in, and I just had to share. :)

And thank you, Wade, for the perfectly lovely spider pictures you sent me. They are not scary at all.

13 comments:

kimber said...

Stephan Harper is far more frightening than any spider, even the gigantic ones found on World of Warcraft or Lord of the Rings or Eight Legged Freaks.... and yes, yes, I suppose I can take solace in the fact that the Conservatives will be kept in check by their minority gov't, but it's still poopy.

You'll note that my political commentary tonight lacks a certain... what would be the word.... MATURITY, but I'm exhausted from staying up late to watch the polls, and I'm getting dizzy from sadly shaking my head so much.

Admin said...

I voted NDP...but last time around I voted Green.

Phil said...

Spidergirl- I share your lack of enthusiam for conservative government. I've been suffering with it done here in the States for about 6 years now. Even though I'm not Canadian I was very disappointed to see your election results. Conservatives are just crazy.

Heidi said...

" Oye Canada"..Enough Said..Ugh!

JM said...

Wow, such an awesome picture.

Eric said...

I'm sorry, but that photo looks way scarier than terrorists and Stephen Harper COMBINED.

And I'm not a teenager.

Pol* said...

Oh how I wanted GREEN to win!!!!! At least one precious seat. I am very unhappy at our newly elected winner, so very unhappy. Alas, I pray that my gut feelings are wrong on this one (thought they rarely are about people)

Tai said...

Well, it can't really get much worse than it already is, can it?
I mean, our healthcare system is just waiting for the last big 'flush'...taxes are creeping higher and higher.

Whatsisface can't do much worse, can he? Really?
Gosh, I HOPE not!

Mz.Elle said...

I usually vote Green too!
This time though,my goal was to keep those freaky Conservatives out,but alas it didn't work:(
We were all up late too,even the kids,watching the goings ons...

As for Spiders,we love them and would never ever ever hurt one.
That's means for grounding in this house(although the kids know and have respected them from early on)
We even go so far as to rescue them from the cats:)
Our whole family is fascinated with them,they are just so interesting!

BostonPobble said...

As a recovering arachnaphobe, I can understand the fear of spiders (was a time I couldn't have read your blog because of its name, even without the pictures, seriously!). But I think I would still put them a little lower behind terrorism. Definitely higher than dark alleys but lower than, say, conservative governments! Sorry to hear you're taking lessons from the US on that one!

Mathieu said...

Harper sucks.
That will be 4 years to remember.

I can't believe "strategical" votes.
You vote for who you want.

I don't get that.

I'm Npd. The man has heart. He traded his car in order to contibute to depolluting our cities. Because his kid has asthma. Sure, it's a little little move. But it's a heartfealt move.

When the time comes for Harper to decide, with what will he decide? His heart?

Anyways. And spiders. yuck. I'm still stuck with "arachnophobia" movie in my mind.
:)

Skye said...

Guess what. some rare spider has hitched a ride in someone's suitcase and now is loose and roaming around in someone's living room and they news swears they'll update us tomorrow. It's suppose to be some very aggressive species. So I'll let you know what they turn up on it. The good part is it's in San Jose,Ca. not San Francisco!!! :} p.s. no I find your report on the Canadian voting very informative and not the least bit boring. Your version was way more than what our news spent on it. Stay warm and dry. :}

OB Juan said...

I agree with Tai (above) "Well, it can't really get much worse than it already is, can it?"

It is a very unfortunate thing, but my point of view is this:

It doesn't really matter who is in power, it just means that those people get to take our money for the next few years and spend it getting into trouble and causing scandals.