Thursday, January 26, 2006

My Lucky Belt





I rather surprise myself sometimes. I thought I was easing my way back into performing dance slowly, but obviously I have trouble not jumping in with both feet.

I do believe I just joined another bellydance troupe.Heh, here I go again.

I'll tell you more about it after I figure out exactly what I'm getting into. But there's bound to be jingly costumes involved. That much I can say for sure. :)

Tonight I had so much fun in class.

We practiced a Turkish folk dance, clapping our hands as we danced to that tricky and completely infectious karsilama beat. You can listen to a clip from the Turkish song we danced to ('Romp Rompi') at this link if you like.

We grape-vined and shimmied and swirled our skirts. I learned a version of this dance years ago, so the steps were familiar enough so that I could just enjoy the dance and not worry about the footwork.

That's my lucky belt in the photo above. It's one of my most treasured things and I've had it years and years. I acquired it before I became a belly-dancer in fact. Sparkly things have a pull on me.

The very first belly-dancer I ever saw danced in a little Greek restaurant in my town. I was maybe thirteen or fourteen years old and I was out for dinner with my friend Kim's family. I remember Kim's little brother didn't know where to look.

Myself, I thought the dancer was beautiful and marvellous and wished I could be exotic and mysterious like that.

Years later, in my twenties, I befriended a woman, Linda, who happened to be a bellydance teacher. One day we went to her dancer friend Jackie's house. Her friend was selling some old bellydance gear and that's where I saw and coveted that lucky belt of mine. I had no plans to become a dancer just then, but it was something that called out to me.

To my delight it turned out that Jackie was the very same dancer who captivated me in that Greek restaurant on that long ago evening. What serendipity! It may have even been the same belt as it was one of her favourites.

She made it from South American and Arabian coins, soldering the links together by hand herself. It must have taken a tremendous amount of time and energy. I had no idea at the time what a treasure I had just acquired for a mere fifty dollars.

Not only can items like this cost hundreds of dollars to buy, but it is my belief that this coin- belt inspired me to become a dancer.

I'd always felt a bit awkward. Baby fat, bad at gym, picked last for the sports team, miserable in the one ballet class I attended as a child...

But something this beautiful and unique was mine. It felt marvellous and heavy when I put it on.

It was like a magic item a genie had given me: a talisman that imbued me with coordination and grace. I joined dance class after dance class and learned more and more. The coin-belt shimmied musically, and was joined by other hip-scarfs and coin-belts of all descriptions. I forgot how awkward I was supposed to be.

Now that's fifty dollars well-spent.

13 comments:

kimber said...

I remember that evening! She leaned down to whisper something in my brother's ear (he was only seven or eight at the time) and he blushed furiously, but he's never told us what secret she shared with him!

That is one beautiful belt, and yes, I think that qualifies as the best fifty dollars ever spent! :)

Meow (aka Connie) said...

What a beautiful belt. I've always admired belly-dancers, they are never self-conscious about their body shape. In fact, they look great if there is something there to shimmy !!! I always wondered whether it was something that I would be able to do ... is it difficult ???

Eric said...

That is nice. Wonder how much all that currency is worth...

Tai said...

A belt that allows you to forget all the 'small-lame-animal' jokes is worth it's weight in gold, and you are SUCH a beautiful dancer.

Mz.Elle said...

Wow,thank you for sharing,that was a beautiful post:)

nicki said...

great post spider :) it really comes through how much you love the belt and the dancing :) thanks for sharing :)

Crystal said...

There's this Turkish restaurant in Chicago and they have Belly Dancing performances during dinner twice a week, so now I'm really determined to check it out! I've seen Flamenco performed live, but never Belly Dancing.

Mel said...

what an awesome belt!! Thanks for sharing. I love shiny jingly things too, but white woman cannot dance LOL

The Miner said...

That's really beautiful!

Pol* said...

so nice! I have yet to find the thing that gives me so much confidence over my awkward body.... haven't found the lucky charm yet.

PBS said...

The belt is beautiful, no wonder it has been an inspiration to you. And how interesting to hear the history behind it!

Tawnya said...

That belt is most definately magic. I love it!!! Tawnya

Unknown said...

I have a coin belt, too, and if I remember correctly it was one of the first belts I bought during my early belly dancing days. It sure is nice to hear noise from your belt when you shimmy; it means you must be doing something right! Aesthetically speaking, I do prefer beaded crocheted scarves, though.

Keep belly dancing!