Friday, January 20, 2006

UnChristmas Sunday (with a Tiny Wee Earthuake)

Maybe it was the tiny little earthquake we had that made me open my eyes at exactly 4:30 am in the early morning after our UnChristmas feast. Or maybe it was just Pol rolling around on the air mattress. I can't honestly say but I remember looking at Tai's clock just then.

Other than that, we all slept like logs, having stayed up latelatelate the night before talking and bouncing around in our pyjamas like yogic flyers on the aforementioned air-mattress. The secret to staying young forever is to bounce on the bed once in a while. Poor mattress.

After coffee and brunch (over which we discussed which Sesame Street character we shared the most character traits with) Kim headed off and Tai and Pol and I headed downtown to Banshee , my new favourite Vancouver shop. Tai said they had some great wigs there.

Right. Besides hats, I also love wigs, and there is nothing quite like a line-up of styrofoam heads with cute little hair-dos on them to spark my imagination.

Hmmmm...I think I'll go longish with bangs today. After I bought it and wore it out of the store, this lady came up to me in the ferry terminal and asked what colours I was using to get my "highlights" so perfect. :)

There was a customer in Banshee who seemed quite vicariously thrilled as Tai and I tried on various styles. She stared at us in fascination, and kept saying 'that looks amazing.. amazing'. She offered to take our picture. I wanted to say to her "Buy one! It's so fun!"

Wait...I did say that to her.


Besides my choice and Tai's newly-purchased curly locks, Pol got a very cute denim jacket with faux-fur trim.

I'm making it sound like I love to go shopping, I've just realized. Well, in stores like this I suppose it's true. Everything was glittery or impractical or chi-chi, and so enormously appealing. Not a sensible item in sight, although I bet Pol gets a lot of compliments on her jacket.

Ah, it really was a perfect visit with my friends.

And after heading home to the Island with Pol, I planned to head out again for Mel's going-away party. So the weekend wasn't quite over yet. I like to squeeze every last drop out of a weekend if I can.

11 comments:

Tai said...

There's bra's EVERYWHERE behind us!!

You know...I didn't feel that earthquake.
I slept right through it...thank goodness.

(Love my curls. Love your highlights!)

Paul said...

Thanks for visiting my "Freaks of Nature" blog. That's sad about your friend's cat:( We trained our cat and our neighbor's cats to leave our squirrels alone. Since you are a teacher, you might enjoy my "save the animals" blog (kidsloveanimals.blogspot.com), too.

Cheers

BostonPobble said...

While I adore hats, I have never tried wigs before. Maybe this will become a new thing for me. Hmmm... And like you, I love shopping in "little places" (my name for them, regardless of their size.) They have nothing practical, nothing you Need, and thing you have always wanted, if you knew it or not. Sounds like a great time.

Izzy said...

hummm shopping in vancouver sounds like a dream day to me. Over here in the prairies a good shopping trip is when you get to WalMart and Old Navy in the same day HAHAHA

Anonymous said...

I used to be afraid of wigs when I was little because my mom's friend use to wear this large, hellacious one that actually looked like a dead raccoon.

Skye said...

You have the most exotic life and really cool friends... :)

nicki said...

man..i definitely need to go to that shop :) looks like soo much fun..how many wigs do you own spider??

Mz.Elle said...

Oooooh I'd love a wig,what a clever idea.
I loved that sign too!

Spider Walk said...

That looks like so much fun! I have never thought of trying on wigs before...hmmmm...I think I am gonna give it a try.
You look Adorable!!!


Smoochie!

Spider Girl said...

Nicki,

I believe I own seven now. :)

Josh said...

I love wigs too. And the crazier the color the better in my book.

BTY I have tagged you, but only because I know you like to be tagged;)