Sunday, January 08, 2006

Dance Class



The above picture is the final bow from a dance show I was in last March that was held further up-island from me in a small restaurant. I'm the dancer in the middle with the long red and black gypsy skirt and the incredibly pale belly. It was a wonderful place to dance--a good performance-area and a small appreciative audience. Also, the restaurant served good spring rolls too.

As I've said before, I took half a year off from dancing, but now I'm missing it dreadfully. It's the social aspect I miss, really. When you're a belly-dancer, you seem to get invited to a lot of parties. :)

I officially registered for my new bellydance performance class today. Performance classes differ from the regular ones in that they usually revolve around putting a choreography together for one or two pieces of music. This is what I'll be doing on Thursday nights now through March.

Although I'm familiar with the teacher, I've never danced at this studio before. When I walked in today it struck me as open and airy with tall windows and gorgeously-polished wooden floors. Pan-flute music ws playing and the air smelled faintly of incense.

The young woman in charge of registrations sat on a yoga mat with a tiny baby. Otherwise the studio was empty. It felt very peaceful.

I bought a punch card that's good for yoga classes as well. Who knows? It's a brand-new year: I may do some of that as well. I used to take a few yoga classes here and there, but the girl I used to do yoga with has since moved away. Some classes are just more fun with a friend along.

I have to admit that part of the reason I was inspired to sign up for this Thursday night class is my dear friend Claudia will be taking it too. Between work-schedules and child-rearing, there are some friends you might just never see otherwise.

7 comments:

Krista... said...

i know what that's like...I have danced my whole life and took my first year off in order to finish my schooling. It's been really hard as I am so used to doing ballet and just being in that atmosphere.

I have never tried belly dancing but it looks fun plus the costumes are hot. Maybe I should try it one day. I like your red and black skirt.

wow I sound like such a major twink.

ah well.

jen said...

Great to hear you're going back to dancing! Keep us posted! I'm sure you're going to have a blast!

Anonymous said...

I would love to see you dance one day!

nicki said...

thats so exciting!! you'll have SO much fun!!!

The Miner said...

That sounds an interesting class!
best of luck !

Crystal said...

Belly dancing...that's hot! I know what you mean about the social aspect of being in a dance group, I've been dancing Tango for roughly a year now and half the fun is just mingling with everyone.

Unknown said...

Hello fellow belly dancer :)

I took a performance class last year and it did wonders for my dancing. Because of the intensive practice involved to prepare for the performance, I saw my dancing improve more that semester than it had in the two years before that. You can definitely expect the same for your dancing. Good luck with it. Be sure to post pictures for us!