Thursday, January 05, 2006

Travel Spider's Travel Blog




I've been meaning to make sense of the rambling notebook I kept on my safari trip to Africa this summer.

I wrote in it lying on tent floors, sitting on warm rocks in the African sunshine; mastered the art of printing in crazy block capitals riding in an overland truck on fantastically bumpy roads.

It's a little bit smeared and tattered but all my thoughts are there so it's one of my most treasured possessions. Too bad nobody else can make head or tale of my hen-scratch.

My dear friend Tai, she who has travelled with me before and knows how important my travel journals are to me, tried to decipher it but gave up upon hearing I was going to write it all down in a new blog instead.

Here it is:

Spider Girl's Africa Journal

I haven't gotten very far into the trip--its taken me eight or so posts to get through the first day and night. Also, as blogs are wont to be, its chronologically backwards so to read it in order you have to start a number of posts back.

Well anyway, I'm putting it out there and I hope those interested in my travels will enjoy it. If nothing else, it's an opportunity for me to add to my original impressions, and also to post some more of my photos.

I'll be adding to it regularly I hope so check back if you like. I have a random travel entry from another trip right at the beginning just for fun (it's a review of the Jorvik viking Centre in york, England that I posted on Epinions a while back).

I actually want to post all my journals eventually six or seven of them. Then I can print them out in legible form, and not have to squint to read my own writing in later years, right? :)

I still haven't figured out how to add this blog to my profile page so if anyone out there knows that trick, I'd love some pointers.

13 comments:

Grant said...

Your blog should automatically appear on your profile after you created it (assuming you created it from the google blogger dashboard). Try going to the dashboard, click Change Settings, and make sure it says Yes next to "Add your Blog to our listings?" on the Basic tab.

BTW, nature is gross. It has, like, bugs and stuff in it. If god intended man to commune with nature he wouldn't have invented A/C and the Internet.

nicki said...

i'm looking VERY forward to reading your travel journal blog :) I've never travelled much in my life..so i always love hearing about other peoples adventures :) hoooray!!

Pirate said...

that's where I ought a be.

x said...

it doesn't appear because you have created a different profile for the othet blog. if you go to blogger.com where your blog entry page is and click create blog, and copy paste everything into another blog but under the same profile it's going to appear.
xx

Mz.Elle said...

That's a very cool idea! I look forward to your entries:)

Tai said...

I really tried to read it!

E#xhaustion, coupled with 3 strong martini's detracted from my comprehension level, that's for sure!

Besides, it's much better with the beautiful pictures to illustate and illuminate your beautiful prose.

:)

JM said...

It had been one of my dreams to go on a safari. I've yet to gather enough money and friends to travel with me.

Eric said...

A travel blog? I'll be there in a heartbeat! ^_^

The Miner said...

that sounds very interesting!

Spider Walk said...

Now, that is about the coolest thing in the whole entire WORLD!!

I don't travel much either, so I am looking forward to reading your journal.

I know it must be a lot of work to decypher and type it all out.

I thank you in advance for your efforts :)

Wriju said...

I went on an elephant safari myself a few days back. It was great reading your other blog :-)

Krista... said...

africa...I'm so jealous.

Luke said...

What a crazy and fascinating idea! I'll be sure to read. I love the pictures!