Thursday, August 11, 2005

A Midsummer Night's Dream

I'm just back from the theatre. My mom treated Joan and I to tickets to the Showcase Festival's production of Shakespeare's Midsummer Night's Dream. It was opening night and it was delightful.

I think this might be my favourite of Shakespeare's plays, a comedy-drama of course. (I just can't get into his more chaotic works like Hamlet).

The set was a magical pillared forest hung with fairy lanterns and I think director Jeff Hyslop could not have found better people to play Titania, Oberon, and Puck.

Especially Puck. The actor fairly radiated impish energy. And some people are obviously just born to have pointy ears and little horns.

And Bottom the ass-headed weaver and his hapless theatrical troupe were a riot. Their play within a play made me laugh so hard.

The acting was great, the Shakespearean words understandable after only twenty seconds or so (must be my recent exposure to Bard on the Beach), the costumes lovely, and the little dog who unexpectedly appeared in the play several times was brilliant.

We had excellent seats too, four rows back from the front and not a single soul in front of us. That probably means ticket sales weren't the greatest which is unfortunate, but it was a boon to us.

Ahh, I just love it when you go out and are marvellously entertained!