Thursday, August 25, 2005

Back in Three Weeks

I'm sitting at my friend Tai's computer in Vancouver. She had to get up early and go off to work, poor thing, leaving her vacationing friends to have a lazy morning lounging about and drinking tea before we have to get to the airport.


Jeff's brother drove us down island to Nanaimo last night and we took the first ferry after work we could. Tai picked us up (thanks sweetie pie) and we all headed over to Deb and Wayne and baby Angelina's place where they cooked fantastically tasty food for us.

Wayne, who is a talented pastry chef, and has apparently (unbeknownst to us)appeared several times on the Food Channel (at least in re-runs), has been offered an opportunity to travel to Switzerland to participate in a dessert-making competition. But he is reluctant to go because he is enormously busy at the hotel where he works and feels responsible for keeping it all together now that another chef has left.

This is a talented guy. He's already won international competitions before. He won a trip to Paris as a prize once, but never went. It's driving me crazy. Go to Switzerland, Wayne! Please go! You won't regret it. Your hotel kitchen will just have to manage without you. The centre will hold.

Anyway, that's my opinion and his wife's opinion and indeed, everyone around the table last night told him so, so we shall see.

Jeff and I are heading out for breakfast now, and Deb will be arriving to pick us up for the airport soon after.

So ciao everyone, see you all when we get back!

I shall now be reduced to writing with pen and paper while on the Serengeti, but I have a feeling I'll have lots to write here when I get back.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

OK, sweetie, as the good friend to you I am, I have now read every single post on your site. This is especially notable, since I was only belatedly invited to this voyeuristic narrative of your life. You, extrovert you!

You will also see my musings posted sporadically over the blog. Yes, I cared enough to respond.

You must have taken that long-ago writer’s workshop to heart. Virginia was the dear old one’s name? I forget. But I remember you were fascinated by her journaling. And now here you are…

I don’t know if you have read any Mark Twain, but his More Tramps Abroad, basically a journal of a speaking tour around Australia and India, is highly entertaining and informative. After reading your blogs, I am positive you could journal your own many trips into ‘Tramp’ing books.

I hope-no, I know-you are enjoying your safari through the Dark Continent. Now, why is it dark if so much of it is grassland and desert?

Take care and savour your trip!