Saturday, August 20, 2005

Birthday Bashes



It's a pic of ME at age 33!




I had my second birthday dinner tonight with Jeff at Toscano's, a little Italian restaurant down by the harbour. It was delightful. Excellent food. I went with the curried fettucini on a friend's recommendation. Thanks Justiney! Also, another fine glass of Montepulciano D'Abruzzo and tiramisu for dessert. (Now usually I consider sugar to be the devil's hand-maiden, but I go over to the dark side on my birthday).

I also finally got my dinner with just the two of us.

On my birthday proper last night, I secretly groaned when I found out Jeff's mom had planned a secret birthday-dinner for me and so I had to postpone the dinner I had envisioned. It was actually a very sweet idea,(and Jeff's mom is known for her sweet ideas) but I had just been looking forward to a quiet romantic evening with just Jeff.

Jeff asked me if he was in the doghouse for keeping it hush-hush and I told him only a little. It turned out to be nice actually. It was family mostly, and also Joan, and all the dogs of course.

I always feel like I'm in the middle of a wolf pack with Joel's three dogs loping around. One is a St. Bernard and another is a Great Dane so they don't fade into the background very easily. Luckily I am a vicarious dog person.

Among my presents was a gift from my mother that I just love. It is a tear-drop shaped Swarovski crystal, tinted blue and on a delicate silver chain. There are several tiny crystal beads clustered above it. There was a time when I didn't much care for jewellery but I have come into an appreciation of ethereal bracelets and vintage brooches in the last few years. My inner magpie, lover of sparkly things, is evolving.

With my new camera I took a little video of mom and Joan. Joan is leaving for Australia tomorrow and I'll mail it to her. My mother has kept this friendship for forty years and watching them chat with their heads close together, laughing and leaning on one another, just makes my heart feel warm.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

happy belated birthday, and you look gorgeous!

Anonymous said...

Hey,

Your mom and Joan sound like you and Tai to me.