Tuesday, August 16, 2005

Larium Dreams

I took my first dose of Larium (Mefloquine) at breakfast yesterday. It's an anti-malarial drug that you take just once a week. Good news was I had none of the side effects like nausea or headache. I felt completely fine all day long.

But last night, my oh my, how I dreamed! I would dream. And then wake up. Then I'd dream. Wake up. Dream. Lestat, my cat, yowling and another wake-up. More dreams.

I honestly couldn't tell you what I dreamed about except to say that they had a vivid, larger-than-life, ROILING quality to them. They seemed to bubble out of sleep with me and into waking-life for just a moment or two. They weren't nightmares, not especially. But those dreams felt very trippy, and I mean that in the colloquial "oh-man-I-think-I'm trippin'" sort of way. "Vivid dreams" is supposedly a common side effect.

To be honest, I WAS kind of hoping I would find out what a "larium dream" was like. You see, I've never even TRIED pot (and I live in British Columbia where's it's practically our economy), not to mention anything stronger. So all my drug-induced states up to this time have largely been the result of too much flu medication.

Jeff, however, slept like a baby last night, and couldn't recall dreaming at all.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I see what you mean about cool stuff... I'll do my best to check out the sale on Saturday morning...

sahda