Thursday, December 15, 2005

Working Through a Fear of Dinosaurs



A little girl playing with toy dinosaurs informed me today that she was working through her fear of dinosaurs. That's just how she said it.

"Ya know what, teacher? I'm working through my fear of dinosaurs."

Oh, I said, (probably with raised eyebrows), does playing with them help with that?

"Oh, no, not really. Mostly I just watch the scary part from "Land Before Time" over and over. I know I'm working through my fear because it isn't very scary any more. Just a little scary." She paused and moved some dinosaurs around. "Yep....I'm really working through my fear", she said with some satisfaction.

She was really enjoying that catchphrase, I could tell.

Now I'm quite sure her parents probably supplied those particular words to her, but I'm sometimes caught off guard when adult-sounding things pop out of four-year-old mouths.

Once a little boy was pulling on his boots in the cubby-room when he looked over and called my name. He had a very sweet little Italian accent and moved his hands when he talked.

He said, "Teacher, I must ask-a you!" He paused and looked very intently into my face. " Who ARE we? What is life about? Where-a are we all really going anyway?"

I must say that I've forgotten any philosophical words I exchanged with that child at that moment, but I do remember mentioning the conversation later on that day to his mother.

She threw up her hands. "He is asking so many questions! Mama mia! He wants to know about God and the world and everything! He won't stop! You know what I tell him? I tell-a him: Eric! Go to bed!"

11 comments:

mitch-elle said...

These were four-year-olds? They sound like teenagers!! I'll bet they keep your life pretty interesting!!:)

JM said...

How sweet for children to have inquiring minds. I love it when they ask questions, it means their minds are working.
I don't think anyone should stifle their curiosity. It's natural for them to be so inquisitive. I'm glad you find it amusing too.

Skye said...

They have a way of catching us adults off guard, how cute. :)

Mathieu said...

That's right.

go to bed

Sherri Sanders said...

I love kids for that very reason!

nicki said...

hahaha that is so cute..kids are the funniest :)

x said...

why would she need to work on her fear of dinosaurs? is there a chance she might meet one and be caught off guard?

Josh said...

Very cute. Good thing she’ll never be running into any dinosaurs. Wonder if her parents are therapists. Poor little Eric just gets sent to bed.

Phil said...

Hi Spider Girl- Thanks for visiting my blog. I enjoyed your belly dancing pics and I appeciate people who enjoy doing unconventional things just because they feel good.

Anonymous said...

the first had to be "K". Sounds just like her..

Tawnya said...

First off, thanks for your wonderful comments in my journal. Secondly, it is amazing what will fly out of a child's mouth. Most of the time, it is sweet and silly but on occasion they surprise you with wisdom that you wonder where it came from. Tawnya