Sunday, December 11, 2005

Pomegranate Martinis and Crokinole

As usual, I enjoyed the staff Christmas party. We've all worked together for a long time, some of us close to ten years, so it's a relaxed and fun gathering.

I'm very pleased to relate that the present I brought was possibly the one most fought over at the gift exchange( just a little vain-glory showing through), followed closely by the package I was personally competing for.

Remember, the gifts are still wrapped up so we could be fighting over toe-nail clippers and bubble-bath for all we know. At this point we're just going for the pretty paper and anything attached to the outside of the present. I put a little red and gold velvet beaded stocking decoration on my gift tag.

But I felt like a crow spying something sparkly when I saw what Terry had put on the outside of her package. Ooh! I wanted it!(Never mind that I've got a whole collection of vintage sparkles already--you can never have too many!) And so this is the beautiful brooch that I ultimately didn't win.:



Here is what I DID win: a homemade teddy-bear made by Theresa and gingerbread cookie mix. The bear is rather sweet and I told Theresa I'd put his picture on the internet so that in some small way he'd achieve fame. Here he is.



And these are the little cushions that I brought as my present. Cushions are something that many people ( me anyway) feel like they can never have too many. I don't care if I don't have a spot to sit down on my sofa--they are a good thing. Luckily, Barb, who got them, thinks so too. :)



I especially had a lot of fun hanging out with Melanie and Justine and quaffing Oprah's Pomegranate Martinis, which are fruity and yummy and have juicy pomegranate seeds at the bottom of the glass. Not TOO many martinis though: the office party is NOT the place where I'd choose to let loose and wear lampshades on my head.

I had some beginner's luck in a game of crokinole too--it's a big wooden circular board with pegs and you flick little wooden disks around with your thumb and index finger to knock your opponents disks off. Lots of opportunities to knock someone's teeth out when the little pucks leave the board and become whizzing projectiles. It was good fun.

11 comments:

blackcrag said...

Gingerbread cookie mix! Yum! But use a different cookie cutter and make gingerbread spider cookies! You could cut up some black liquorice for eyes.

So what was in the present with the sparkly brooch?

This reminds me that you have one of the nicest smelling houses. There's always something that smells good there.

Mel said...

I love the pin!! The bear is awfully cute too, but he might get a swelled head being famous with his picture on the internet and all. I'm just saying....

x said...

the teddybear looks lovely. Any tips from Theresa on how to make one?
Did you make the cushions? If yes, i want tips on those too.
Because i already used Oprah's for the Pomegranate Martini.

Spider Girl said...

Blackcrag: That's what I need for Christmas, a spider cookie-cutter! It was a fancy cake-dish in the brooch package, so I'm okay with the bear and gingerbread.

Chloe: Alas, the cushions are not home-made. But at least I know how to make the martinis now. :)

Eric said...

Martinis and crokinole: a potentially deadly combination. I'm glad you or anyone else didn't maim someone with those disks. ^_^

*jeanne* said...

The brooch was pretty...I'd have wanted it, too!
But your pillows were a good choice as gifties - I LOVE that sort of thing. And I like the little hand-made bear you eventually got! I'm glad you're giving him his 15 minutes of fame on your Blog!

dixiedarling said...

Love the cushions - I do the same thing. The bear is cute too!!

Skye said...

All great prizes, and I felt like I was there from your post.

Grant said...

I hate office parties. I spend too much time with these people as it is.

But that was a cool bear you won.

nicki said...

cute bear!! sounds like it was a great party!! i wanna try those martinis!! maybe this weekend!!! wooo!!!

Wanderlust said...

oh!so many goodies and presents...its all so lovely...i wish i could have them all
:-)...nice to know that you had a great time.