Friday, December 16, 2005

Bellydance Party



I've made a decision, inspired by tonight's bellydance party.

I'm starting dance classes again in January. I've decided there are too many wonderful dancing friends that I miss. I miss stepping out onto a stage and shimmying for all I'm worth. I miss comparing coin belts and veils. I even miss the extreme thrill and anxiety leading up to a big dance show.

I miss being known as a belly-dancer.

Yes,I took a little break from belly-dancing this year. I had my appendix out this past spring which made undulating my abdomen around for any reason extremely uncomfortable, and then I went travelling this summer--those are my official excuses for my absence, but really I'm not sure why I lost the spark.

But it's almost the start of a brand new year and I feel new energy in myself. I've got ever so many sparkly, jingly things waiting in my closet.

And oh! it was such a fun party tonight!

My friend Sherry (there on the left in both photos) danced up a storm tonight and was in three gypsy-fusion dance numbers. I'm so proud of her!




This is Bronwyn, one of my first and most inspiring belly-dance teachers. She's lovely, isn't she?



This is my friend Chris, laughing with the music. She is one of the Yalla Gypsies, which is the bellydance troupe I belong to.



This is Cathy, an amazing choreographer, with a wild gypsy dancer's soul.



This is Edith, the sweetest dancer I've ever known, and my French teacher too!



There is nothing like a night of wine and dance to stir the blood. I shimmied till the clock struck twelve.

11 comments:

Spider Walk said...

That is so cool that you can belly dance!! I love the pictures, you look very happy in them. It's great that you are going to do it more often :)

Skye said...

I love to go to Greek resturants and then the Belly Dancers come out. You have goals already, I haven't gotten as far as NYeve.

nicki said...

that looks like so much fun!! i would love to try bellydancing sometime!!

junebee said...

My nanny wants to do bellydancing (she's a 25 year old Colombian).

Tai said...

Flamenco is my world, but belly dance inspires that woman-world.

And it's lovely!

Please, do more belly dance!

I love that I can brag about you on stage, and Kim being an internationally known author, and Pol being a highly sought after graphic designer....

LOVE YOU GUYS!

Admin said...

Let's see some pics of you in the bellydancing gear!

Anonymous said...

I'm so excited!! I've created a feed, and now your blog shows up on my livejournal friends page!

I do believe I'm brilliant!

Spider Girl said...

Hey, thanks Mel! :)

Mz.Elle said...

Oooooh pretty costumes!
I've always wanted to Belly Dance:)

x said...

these women look amazing. there is a similar greek dance (not very sure it's greek but women practise it here a lot). It's called tsifteteli. Also, i love the fact that it's a women's dance only.

blackcrag said...

I can understand why you took a break this year between your jet-setting lifestyle and ill health. Either is a good reason—not an excuse—to take a break. I'm glad you're taking it up again, ‘cause I know you enjoyed it so much.

I still remember the bellydance show I bartended for you at. People balancing swords on their heads, the candles on the palms... bellydancing is a magic spell incanted by motion.

What happened when the clock struck 12? Did you turn into a pumpkin?