Thursday, March 30, 2006

Tulips and Soup and Friends

Emily brought me an armful of luscious red tulips the other night. I love them! Somehow they change a room.

Why is it that something so simple as having bouquets of flowers in the house makes me feel so rich?

Could it be like Thoreau said? :"That man is richest whose pleasures are cheapest. "

Oh, if only I could lay claim to such a philosophy!

Unfortunately I have that not-so-cheap European vacation habit that is a little conflicting......

Another thing that makes me feel wealthy is my abundance of marvellous friends. Here is a picture of some dear people I had not connected with in a while.

And all it took was few phone calls, a email or two, and suddenly we are all together again in my cozy orange kitchen, eating homemade soup and drinking wine.

We have all been off on separate adventures for much of this past year and so there was a lot of catching up to do.

When you feel busy it's so easy to let friendships slide onto the back burner, but oh it's such a good feeling to see all their faces again.

There were actually people sitting around that table who had no idea I had a blog, or indeed, even liked to write. However, no one was surprised at the Spider Girl handle I use.

The revelation precipitated a whole conversation about Spiders We Have Known and Cringed From, spiders met in exotic countries (hiding in mattresses and caves) and practical jokes involving spiders (after which Emily would have cheerfully killed Ted).

We used to get together for Soup Nights fairly often and we're thinking of resurrecting the practice. Someone makes soup (this time it was my Curried Butternut Squash & Grannysmith Apple Soup), someone brings bread, someone brings dessert, and wine, cheese and hors d'oevres usually arrive too. This time Chris made home-made chai too and we talked for three hours around the table.

Good times, my friends, good times. :)

18 comments:

Josh said...

I think I fall in that same boat with you, but very reluctantly.

Zambo said...

Hi Spider Girl.

I like the cozy orange kitchen!

Sounds like a good tradition to resurrect.

It's funny how with good friends, even when you don't see each other for a while, you pick up right where you left off?

Anyway, take care out there!

Your Pal,

Zambo.

Playground In My Mind said...

The tulips are beautiful. I love soup and think ur get togethers sound wonderful. Thank you for sharing and for visiting my blog.
Renee

Lori Stewart Weidert said...

I Loooooove cooking and dining with friends, I love it more than eating out any day. You can make more noise, talk about anything without offending the farts at the next table, and get up and dance if you want.

It's a beautiful picture of you and your friends. I like to imagine future generations looking at that picture, and smiling and wondering...

blackcrag said...

Ah, the cantaloupe kitchen hasn't changed!

It is always fun to make time for friends, bring them back into your life in case they have drifted out a little.

Soup night sounds like our old coffee nights, where we talked for hours over cups of coffe and other hot drinks.

nicki said...

i love the colour of your kitchen :) it looks so cozy :) i like it when you write about your friends :) u always sound so happy :) i wish my friends were more into stuff like that...*sigh*..i'm taking applications for new friends...the flowers are also veerry pretty!!

kimber said...

Your kitchen, in particular, is well-suited for entertaining... good accoustics, easy access to refills of tea, envigorating decor, and the best mug selection EVER!

(i claim the lion mug!)

The Miner said...

I wish good times for you too, dear Spider Girl...

Tai said...

AHEM!!

Kimber; the 'lion mug' has my name written ALL over it.
(If Jeffye hasn't washed the permanent maker off it yet!)

I'm looking forward to MY turn to sit around the table :)

JM said...

I try to keep in contact with my friends, they make me feel grounded.
I was watching "American Idol" on Wednesday and Shakira made an apperance and sang her new song. She did this while belly dancing. I thought of your post about learning to belly dance.

Wendy C. said...

Beautiful photo!
And how true about richness...and friends.

Have a great day :-)

K. said...

I used to have an expensive international-vacation habit too. Motherhood cured it. Cheers!

Pol* said...

WONDERFUL!

Caro said...

Your soup sounds wonderful! And I love the idea of a soup get-together.

Anonymous said...

great friends and flowers. How can you beat that combo.

Anonymous said...

Friends, food and flowers: three Fs that makes you a really, really rich person.

Tim Rice said...

It sounds like you had a good evening. And hey your Curried Butternut Squash & Grannysmith Apple Soup sounds delicious. Could you share the recipe or is it a chef's secret?

Weary Hag said...

I too love your kitchen! Very warm and inviting.

This post makes me realize just how long it's been since I've gotten together with my handful of special friends. Maybe it's time to put all else aside once again and have a conversation that doesn't include mouses, keyboards and monitors. Hm. I wonder if I could still pull that off?