Tuesday, March 07, 2006

A Stack o' Books







I've got a stack of books on the go as usual, a habit which I share with at least a few of my friends, who also cannot remain in a monogamous relationship with a single book.

I'm reading :

Shopping for Buddhas by Jeff Greenwald: the true story of a fellow who, while searching the backstreets of Kathmandu in a quasi-obsessive quest for the perfect little Buddha statuette, learns a little about Eastern philosophy, political corruption, antiques smuggling, and the joy of shopping in the process.

The Story of Butchart Gardens by Dave Preston: in which a distant relative of Spider Girl sells an ugly parcel of land on Tod Inlet ( Vancouver Island) in the early 1900's to the Butchart family, whereupon it is transformed from a lime quarry to a rather more famous and nicer-looking place.

















Diary of a Compost Hotline Operator: Edible Essays on City Farming by Spring Gillard : humourous happenings in a Vancouver, BC demonstration garden featuring urban agriculture, worm workshops, midnight bee-charming ceremonies, and love among the compost bins.





Trading Spaces 48-Hour Makeovers: Get a New Look in a Weekend : an eye-candy book during which Spider Girl gets odd urges to distess her cupboards and glue a fringe of feathers to her lampshades. She will settle for re-arranging her living-room furniture in the end.

There are a couple of others sitting forlornly by the bedside, but I haven't bonded with them yet.

14 comments:

RusticateGirl said...

The Buddha book sounds interesting, something I might like since I usually read only non-fiction. You and I have similar interests, I am a garden freak as well. Just placed my rose order last week, woohoo!

OB Juan said...

I love Butchard Gardens!

When I was a kid we would go there twice a year. We would pack the family up in the car early in the morning and trek to Victoria (a 3.5 hour drive before the Highway upgrades)

We did this once in the late summer when everything was in bloom and once at Christmas when they had their light display on.

Grant said...

Your reading list is a tad girly. Toss in some Joe R. Lansdale to up the testosterone factor. :p

Spider Girl said...

Grant, news flash, I AM a tad girly, dearie. :)

Tai said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Tai said...

HEY!
I have a stack too...I'm reading about modern day pirates, one about food, Romeo Dallaire's book about Rwanda and a bunch others.

looooovvveeee books.

(I wonder if Romeo Dallaire's book would be masculine enough for Grant!)

Mz.Elle said...

Oooh those all sound delicious!
Thanks Spider Girl,I'm going to search for them on my next library trip:)

JM said...

I always read more than one book at a time.
The Buddha books sounds rather interesting.
Is the book about the garden non-fiction?

adman said...

Yo sis...keep that shopping for Buddha book for me...I can relate...I traveled around not buying buddhas when I should have, and then had to buddha but at the last minute...it was stressfull.
My only concrete memory of Bucharts Garden is that silly song from the nightly review about the faces of the ladies in the Harem..perhaps this is where the belly dancing stems.

nicki said...

man! i can only read one book at a time..hahaha

Lori Stewart Weidert said...

Is there anything in that makeover book for windows that are 6 feet long and 2 feet tall? Quick! Go look it up! I suck at this stuff!

C said...

I always have way too many books going at once, too. I guess I'm a book slut. ;o)

Kazzy said...

I have a few on the go, or perpetually on the go too - interesting tale about Butchard Gardens!! I love it when bits of family history crop up in something bigger.. apparently there is a picture of my granddad out in Sooke in the railway museum...

Buddha book sounds like a good read, a good risk to sink my teeth in to!

Skye said...

Oh I've always wanted to go there.