Saturday, March 04, 2006

Tonight! Chocolate Cake! And Belly-Dancers!


Dancing for the seniors last night was a hoot. I think old people are one of the best audiences to dance for from a dancer's point of view.

If they like you, they have such lovely appreciative smiles....

"You just look so beautiful, my dear", said one sweetie, taking my hand between musical numbers.

If they don't like you, and have a zoned expression, or have started snoozing while you pirouette, one can simply blame it on their medication.

Our audience was composed entirely of folks over eighty years old. Several were in their advanced nineties, and three were one hundred years old or older! Some of our audience seemed surprisingly spry, considering their advanced age. We even got some toe-tapping!

The room we danced in was huge ! It had a nice soft carpet to dance on in our bare feet(I've danced on some nasty floors before), but the audience was scattered in easy chairs in a loose circle around the perimeter, not an ideal set-up.

I prefer it when the audience is cozier. They can see the subtleties (it's hard to see a belly flutter at twenty paces), and the dancer can make flirty eye-contact with the individual people in the crowd.

As it was, I overheard these two sweet old fellows watching from the far left, leaning forward and obviously enjoying watching my friend Linda dance a drum solo:

First fellow:"Fantastic, oh fantastic! Imagine dancing with a sword on your head like that!"

Second fellow: Eh, what? She's got a what on her head? Where?!

I was glad that we had two free-style pieces where the whole group of us danced at once. Then one or two of us could go and shimmy solely for the people at the far edges of the room.

The heat was set at 75 degrees in the room and they had an electric fireplace going. By the end of our half-hour show I was ready to stick my head in a cold bucket of water. Despite that, we all danced with wonderful energy, our evenings at Linda's house practicing paying off.

I even felt curiously relaxed during the brand-new gypsy choreography with Kelly. I was sure I'd forget something in that dance. But we danced really well together, especially considering we've only been able to practice that dance maybe three times in the same room together. Heh, we are just super-cute dancing gypsies on the inside, I guess.

On our way back to the "dressing room" after our performance, we noticed we were advertised on the menu: Tonight! Chocolate cake! And Belly-Dancers!

Who wouldn't want to come down to dinner with an advertisement like that?

22 comments:

Anonymous said...

It was all wonderful!

Everyone looked relaxed, looked as if they were having fun, and looked as if they knew what they were doing! One would never guess that all these people only came together a month or so ago to do this!

As a teacher, I am very proud (good use of floor, good use of eyes and non-verbal communication, good use of moves and skirts, good inter-dancer communication). As a dancer, I am honored that these lovely women consented to partaking of this opportunity; I am thrilled that I could dance with them!

{happy sigh...}
Linda, dancing as
Halima al-Rakkasa

sttropezbutler said...

WOW

And cake too!

STB

Tai said...

Hooray!

(BTW...I'm am SO coming to the Island to see you perform at the Abbey. You couldn't STOP me!)

Miss B said...

You ladies look fantastic! You're definitely making me want to try dancing heh
Congrats on the successful show :)

Skye said...

I could feel the music as I read your post. You are all so beautiful.

Wendy C. said...

Oh! WONDERFUL story! I am smiling ear to ear! (I just love old folks!)And to top it all off you all look fabulous in your dance costumes!

JM said...

Sounds like you had a blast. And what a menu--belly dancers and chocolate cake.

nicki said...

i'm SO glad that it went well :) thats amazing!! thanks for sharing the story and the pictures!! you look GREAT!!!!!!!!!!! dontcha just love seniors..ehhehehe some of them are just so darn cute..haha

Lori Stewart Weidert said...

I love it! Great pix, a great story!

blackcrag said...

Glad you had fun, sweetie, and a successful show. Wish I could see your gypsy dance.

(I just finished The Hunchback of Notre Dame and have La Esmerelda dancing through my head to the sound of giant church bells.)

Those old guys are hilarious. Did you really overhear them or did you make that up as a conversation that must have been going on somewhere in the room?

Spider Girl said...

Blackcrag, it's a real conversation. :)

Jon-Marc McDonald said...

Ok, first things first...I love you Spider and I don't even know you!

Thanks for your comments on my blog.

You're a doll.

Jade L Blackwater said...

It looks like you all had loads of fun! You're right, these are ideal venues for dancing, and it gives you a chance to connect with the elders!

Out of curiosity, do you also use ankle-bells when you dance?

Mz.Elle said...

heeeehee,oh it sounds so wonderful!!

dixiedarling said...

It looks like everyone had a good time - you all are great!! Old folks - well I think they just rock!!!

Tim Rice said...

It sounds like you and the old folks had a great time. I think it's neat that you spent time with the old folks there.

Spider Walk said...

Oh! WOW!! How cool!! You looked beautiful Spider!

I so admire you for taking the time to dance for our seniors. I am sure they will be talking about you all month!!

You ROCK :P

Josh said...

What a pretty Spider Girl! You guys look great. Awesome that you rocked the place. Shake it baby :)

Pol* said...

[Big smile!]

Crystal said...

Dancing for the oldies...that's so cool!

Anonymous said...

Wow!
Exotic! :-)

dragonflyfilly said...

kool...i had my 3rd belly dancing class last monday...finding it a bit of a challenge with my "stupid condition"...but will perservere...

my daughter is getting quite good...

i wonder if you were at the Bazaar/and Show in New West a few weeks ago?