Sunday, March 12, 2006

Irish Wake



I went to an Irish wake last night.

In the old days, in Ireland and in other Celtic countries, the wake was a big party with lots of dancing and drinking to give the deceased person a good send-off. The corpse in its coffin was usually present as the guest of honour, but nowadays it seems folks are a little more sensitive about such things, and only the living attend.

I didn't really know the fellow who died very well. He was a co-worker of my husband, and died in an unfortunate accident with his truck a couple of weeks back. The funeral back in February was for close family only, but it seemed like there were several hundred people at his wake. Originally Jeff and I had planned to make only a short appearance at the wake out of respect and then leave.

But then I ran into a couple people I know quite well there and we had a great conversation. Jeff soon found himself deep in conversation too.

I live in a small town and it seems like everybody knows everybody. If you didn't know the dead person, you were probably a friend of a friend of him. It turns out his ex-wife used to be in my bellydance class, and the father of one of my good friends grew up with him.

The wake was held at the local Legion hall. Lots of food, an open bar, people milling around laughing and chatting with beer bottles in hand, dance music playing, piles of kids running around, and the occasional family member saying something over the PA system: there was very little to distinguish it from many wedding receptions I've been to.

It was certainly not a funereal atmosphere.

Well, there was a table full of photographs of the deceased and his family. Also present on the table: his jacket and helmet from his drag-racing hobby, the wheel from his racing car, a bottle of Glen Fiddich whiskey and his favourite kind of chocolates.

A guy at the table we were sitting at mused : "Look at all these people! Ever wonder who will show up for your funeral?"

I do wonder about that occasionally. In fact, I'm rather curious. I hope there's some sort of clause when you die that allows you to pop in invisibly to your funeral/wake just to check out who showed, like in the TV show Six Feet Under.

A friend of mine attending this event has said upon occasion that yes, she wants a fuss to be made when she dies. Ideally, she'd like one of those Viking funerals where they put your remains on a great dragon-prowed boat, and then light the boat on fire and push it out to sea where it burns like an enormous pyre. That kind of funeral would probably draw a crowd, although it almost certainly would violate some local bylaw or other.

Hmmmm...it seems a little much to me. How about sprinkling my ashes under a nice peaceful tree?

(Although I ultimately prefer the concept of a simple funeral, I have to admit the Victorian image of plumed horses draped in black and a troupe of keening veiled women does have a certain satisfying je ne sais quoi , but nahhhh....)

But we both can agree that at the very least, in the event of our sad demise, our friends should use it as an excuse for a great party.

Hey, we've both got Irish blood. It's traditional.

16 comments:

Crazy Me said...

I am with you on the funeral/party idea. I can't imagine my friends and family prostrate with grief. I much prefer the picture of them remembering all the fun times.

Spider Walk said...

My funeral has been planned since I was 21...right down to the music...lol!

Of course, being that I worked at a funeral home had some influence on my wanting to pre-plan it. I just want to save my family the grief and expense.

It's going to be a great party. I will be there--I just hope some of the living will attend too :)

Seven said...

Spider Girl,
I love the idea of planning your own funeral....except for now its another thing on my list of things to do before I die....Do you think everyone will actually watch all the athletic film from when I was 18!

Pol* said...

I want a happy joyous party too. I went to T's Gran's service and it was more like a great family reunion..... it was also at a legion. Everyone had a great time and it felt like she was the hostess, absolutely terrific.

The Miner said...

That's interesting....

Grant said...

I like the way the Irish deal with death. The next time you're bored, whack one of your Irish pals so you'll have an excuse to party.

You could always fake your own death to see who shows for your funeral. As for mine, I'm leaning towards the Hunter S. Thomson getting shot out of a cannon type of sendoff.

Tai said...

Nothing says 'love' like a great huge party to celebrate your life.

"Wake" me when it's over!

Lori Stewart Weidert said...

If we had open bars at our funeral visitations, I'd be a lot more likely to pay my respects to mere acquaintances.

I do like the newer trend of holding "Celebration of X's life". Still sad, but more sweet than morbid.

geekdarling said...

I love the idea of my family and friends getting together and having FUN at my funeral/wake or whatever...

Weary Hag said...

No no no ... no jubilation when I die! I want tears and profound sorrow to be the theme of the day. I want there to be an ambulance handy for those so grief-striken that they cannot hold themselves up.
That's the funeral.

Now ... the wake should be seating by place-card only and I will put the least likely people to get along right next to one another. Open bar but with designated drivers only and "I" get to pre-choose the desi-drivers. More food than any humans should be allowed to consume and the music must be an eclectic mix, including my own vocals on carefully chosen jazz tunes, just to piss everyone off.

I do like the idea of the fancy horse-drawn carriage ... but it might not be quite morbid enough. Oh, and PLEASE drive past my house on the way to the cemetery ... this way here, all my neighbors can also mourn the horrific loss. How else would they even know?

Tim Rice said...

I think a funeral or wake should be a celebration of the person who died. It should be a mixture of sadness and gladness - a time for comfort and a time for remembering the good times. They also serve the function of bringing people together who may not have seen each other in a long time perhaps even renewing relationships.

Miss B said...

I think the wake sounded pretty wonderful actually. People need to lighten up about death, it's depressing enough, without people being all long faced...a nice evening of-even if they're fake smiles-plastered on peoples faces is just waht the doctor ordered. A horribly sad funeral i went to back in january had some great comic relief when instead of playing amazing grace of something, they played "do the bearcat" by David Wilcox..since the guy who had passed away's nickname was 'bearcat' and it was obviously 'his song'... So yeah, point being, people need to laugh and remember good times during a death. I mean i want to be remembered for the good stuff...and a viking send off would definitely make the evening that much more perfect.

blackcrag said...

First of all, Grant, the Irish never need an excuse to aprty.. waking up is a well-tested and proven reason to party.

Secondly, the Irish have the right of it... the wake doesn't mourn the passing of the deceased, it celebrates that he or she was here at all!

When I 'cross the bar' definitely hold a party... no tears unless you're crying for joy.

And I want a bagpiper at the funeral. But NOT 'Amazing Grace'! That is over done to triteness, and I doubt I'll ever be found anyway.

Eric said...

Yeah, I want one of those too! No tears, no weeping, I want it to be a party. I'm too modest for people to mourn me.

Hell, after that they can burn me and dump me in the garbage. I won't really care, I'll be dead.

Ian Lidster said...

I think the traditional 'wake' is a wonderful way to mark one's love for the deceased and to celebrate the wonderment of life. A nice celebratory piece you did here, my friend. Ian

Bawb's musical adventure said...

My wife of 22 years left me suddenly due to brain cancer. When we learned that it was not curable, we cried, prayed and planned. Although we are not Irish by birth, she requested an Irish wake with her favorite games, drinks and music. She also requested a large bell that would be rung everytime someone wishes to share a story, rememberance or farewell. After each bell ringing, glasses would be raised. My hope is that we honor her wishes while keeping with a tradition that is new to us. Any suggestions of things we may include would be apprieciated. - Bob