Sunday, April 02, 2006

Rockin' On With Hula Hoops




You'd think, being a bellydancer, that using a hula hoop would be sort of second nature--all those hip circles and all.

Alas, it is a childhood sorrow that I've never mastered the art of the Hula Hoop. The hoop goes round my middle once or twice, wobbles past my kees, and clatters disappointingly to the floor.

Enter Moira, a woman I met at a party last night. She brought her hula hoops along because she's been taking a six-week course to learn to Hula Hoop with the best of them. Yes, where I live hula-hooping is a performance art, seen on stage and much admired by simple non-hula-hooping folk like myself.

Her teacher is a woman named Tracy, locally made famous by a sort of reverse strip-tease she performed at the Wild Women's Cabaret not so long ago. If I hadn't seen it with my own eyes, I wouldn't have believed it could be done.

Tracy came out on stage at the Abbey clad only in tasteful white panties and brassiere. She starts her hoop spinning. Then she produces an old-fashioned suitcase and opens it, pulling out long silk stockings, garter belts, silky negligees, long evening gloves, and a feather boa. She proceeds to dress herself in these items in a saucy manner accompanied by va-va-voom music.

She is hula-hooping as she does this. The hoop is circling her neck, her knees, one arm, both arms...it is circling...circling...circling.... Then she adds a second hula hoop to the mix!

I am stupefied with a combination of envy and admiration. A woman who can do this could do anything it seemed to my amazed eyes. And she seems so shy in person!

Well, Moira, the woman at tonight's party, can not do all this after only a few weeks of lessons, but she did show us some nifty tricks, like how to make the hoop that is circling your waist sail up to orbit your arms as they stretch above your head. Or hula that hoop around your knees. Crazy fun.

Now I, as I mentioned earlier, am seriously challenged in the hula-ing department.

But I made a breakthrough tonight. With a lot of hooting and encouragement from my fellow party-hoopers. And by spinning that darn thing around and around again, and picking it up off the floor and trying again. It is all in your hips. The main idea is to refuse to spasmodically move your upper torso around as you feel the hoop lose momentum.

No. Banish the arm flail as demonstrated last night by Spider Girl. It's ALL in the hips. And the legs. Bend your knees. Relax. If it slips, try to get under the silly thing.

And it's a funny thing--once you've got it, you feel how right the movement is.

Another tip is to drink a glass of excellent blackberry wine first. It really improved my technique anyway. I couldn't guarantee individual results.

That wild-eyed look I have in the accompanying photograph is the heady thrill of victory.

The hoops that Moira brought are from Tracy's class, specially made from PVC piping and fancy electrical tape. But my friend Jordan was such a dear and rummaged around in her garage until she found hula hoops enough for all to practice with. And she let me take one home. Now I just have to make it heavier by weighting it with sand or something and spiff it up with duct tape.

Seriously, if I see that class offered again, I am so there!

18 comments:

Gingers Mom said...

That sounds like so much fun! I would love to do something like that. I'm sure most men would love the whole sexy backwards strip show too!

:P fuzzbox said...

A six week course? They must have some really advanced hula hooping going on.

adman said...

Hey..that;s Daniel and Jordan's living room your hoola hooping in....she never lets me have that much fun when I'm there.

nicki said...

soooooo much fun!!! i looove hula-hooping!!!!!!!!!!! yippeee!!!!

Pol* said...

That looks like GREAT FUN! I had intermittent hula-hoop success at best, sometimes it worked, other times I flailed miserably, but I always enjoyed it. We have 3 of them in my backyard, and I have 2 kids...... self explainatory!

Josh said...

That is some serious talent. I'd be afraid I'd taken your lamps out.

kimber said...

Today, I played on a trampoline for the first time in ages, and your post has reminded me that it's been a long time since I've hula'd, too! That will be my mission for tomorrow!

The Miner said...

Nice pictures! but have you learnt something about middle eastern dance style?!

Tai said...

That really IS a wild-eyed look...are you sure it wasn't the wine and not the victory???

K. said...

I have never been able to hula hoop. It has always been a source of great embarassment for me.

Grant said...

Continued education is so rewarding. Why am I wasting my time with Japanese when I could learn the hula hoop? Like you, I never mastered it as a kid. Do they have pogo stick classes as well? I was never good at that either.

On the other hand, I am a complete master of hitting the pavement. I wonder if anyone will pay me to teach that?

BostonPobble said...

that's the kind of thing I would So Love to do. seriously, how many people can claim that wild eyed heady thrill of victory look??? not to mention the added bonus of having an excuse for the blackberry wine. this definitely needs to go on my list of things to do in my next 36 years!

Skye said...

Fun Post! :)

Mz.Elle said...

Haaa,that sounds like a blast!!

Punit Vanjani said...

Hello Spidy Girl,

I was somewhat busy from last 2 months. But now i have made one thing clear, I would overcome anything and keep posting :)

By the way if you try for hula-hooping you will succeed. Best of luck

Valkyrie said...

Sorry to inform you that I will no longer be visiting the blogs that Grant has a habit of visiting.

Zambo said...

Hey Spider Girl!

That sounds like a fun class for sure!

(I never got into hula-hooping as a kid either...We used to jump our bikes off ramps over hula-hooping girls...those were good times...we were even successful a few times!)

I hope you get to take that class.

Take care, Spider Girl!

Your Pal,

Zambo.

Weary Hag said...

How unique. I remember as a little girl, hula hooping it up in my backyard day after day. I was easy to entertain. :)

Good job at finally 'getting it.'

By the way, I couldn't do this today if my life depended on it.