Tuesday, March 21, 2006

Tai Mail


One of the joys of life is getting mail.

Real mail. Mail you can hold in your hand.

However immediate and connecting email and blogs are, the thought that a friend took the time to pick something out for you, thoughtfully inscribe it, find a stamp, and mail it is ...wonderful.

I found this beautiful and unusual postcard in my mailbox yesterday--a painting by artist Jan Mankes (1889-1920) showing a still life of a bird skull and an elegant vase filled with prosperity plant.

It's from Tai, a friend who well knows my taste in art. Absolutely perfect, dearie. Thank you. :)

On the back this note:

My dear friends,
I just wanted you to have something pleasant in your mailbox...bills are so dull! Saw this, thought of you.


And then a little verse she added:

"Do not save your loving speeches
For your friends till they are dead;
Do not write them on their tombstones;
Speak them rather now instead!"

--Anna Cummins


Ah, my friend, you are talented at picking out the perfect card! It made my day!

12 comments:

Tai said...

I'm SO glad you liked it!

The picture was SO perfect.

Love you madly!

Pol* said...

I got a lovely piece in the mail too! Made my day!

nicki said...

awwww!! i love getting mail as well :) i love how you guys love each other so much!! its great!!

Josh said...

You two need to join our secret pals next time around. I love getting REAL mail too. You can always email your address and I can send you stuff from Texas. I'm sure you've always wanted a set of Texas shapped earings, really who doesn't :P

Hey, the last part of the word verification was DAMN. haha I always think it's neat when they spell things.

Mathieu said...

I agree. mail is often overlooked.

But so appreciable.

Deb said...

I miss snail mail. I never get anything but bills bills and more bills.

Hey Tai! What about me?

Jay Noel said...

That was very sweet of your friend. How very cool. The only mail I ever get is bills and junk. I haven't received an actual postcard in years.

Lori Stewart Weidert said...

You've inspired me. I think I'll run out and pick up a few cards. Real mail IS fun!

BostonPobble said...

A friend of mine and I write each other several times a year just to have that "oooo! mail!" reaction. it's so great. as is your friendship with Tai!

Krista... said...

Virginia Woolf once wrote that there is no better way to know that you are loved then to receive a letter from a good friend.

Tim Rice said...

Getting a handwritten letter or card was/is always special. But now a days I think it is even more special because it takes a bit more effort than an email does.

Crystal said...

Ah, snail mail, so quaint. I too like receiving letters/postcards, and for 11yrs. I had a German penpal. You are lucky to have such a great group of friends and what a beautiful poem by Anna Cummins!