Wednesday, November 02, 2005

Xylophone and King Dream

I was invited out to another post-Halloween Day of the Dead celebration last night, but when I got off work too late to catch the ferry over to Denman Island where it was being held, I felt a little bit relieved. I was still tired from the night before and was feeling a little homebody-ish.

There was also the possibility of missing the last ferry back to MY island at the end of the night, and as I work the next day, this would not be a good thing. And I hate having to leave at ten o'clock from something like this.

So in lieu of more spooky celebrations (yes, I think I'm done for a while), I puttered around the house cleaning out cupboards, and then retired to the bathtub to read more of "Lost Souls", a horror novel by Poppy Z. Brite with punked-out white-trash vampires who get drunk a lot and eat Twinkies in between killing hitch-hikers.

And then I went to bed and had this dream:

My friend Tai was playing in a concert in Canterbury Cathedral in England (where we once attended a service about six years back on a back-packing trip). She was playing the xylophone, and was actually a famed xylophone player!

The King of England was attending the concert, and so I was very excited about going and getting a good seat. I sat down in one place, and it felt too crowded, so I moved to another spot which was also not satisfactory. Finally, I just leaned against the end of a pew.

An old fellow wearing a crown was sitting there and while we waited for the music to begin, we started to chat. He was very interesting and was reading a book on Canadian history so I was able to hold up my end of the conversation.

As we continued to talk, something tickled at the edge of my mind. This guy seemed so familiar...ah...yes..the crown. He was the King. Heh.

When everybody stood up at the beginning of the concert to acknowledge him, he chuckled to me and said, "Don't worry,you're already standing."

Tai played the xylophone most excellently in my dream, by the way. :)

7 comments:

Tai said...

But of course!

One of my many hidden talents.
(Can you remind me of some of my other ones?)

Gosh, I hope the King enjoyed it!

JM said...

Just goes to show that Kings are people too.

Mel said...

I had not read any Poppy Brite in years, thanks for reminding me of her!

In the words of Mel Brooks "Its good to the King"

Heather said...

hehehe Funny what our brains do when we are resting them. I wonder why we dream at all - what is the purpose of dreaming? Is there one?

Anonymous said...

Purpose of dreams... To inspire us to take up new instruments which we never even considered we'd like to play?

(Now I know what to get Tai for her birthday!)

Kelsey said...

Ever dream about vampires?

I'm always fighting them in my dreams. Weapon of choice...a really sharp pencil.

Some nights it seems like I don't get anything done but killing me some vamps.

jen said...

Wow that dream is awesome! So much detail!