Friday, November 25, 2005

Attack of the Christmas Craft Fair



This is my cat Colby checking out my new acquisition.

I was on my way into the gym tonight when I was physically assailed by the wafting aroma of homemade mincemeat tarts in the wintry air. Oh, it smelled SOOOOO good. It turns out they were having Ye Olde Christmas Craft Fair in the downstairs part of the rec centre.

Come on", said Jeff, dragging a drooling Spider Girl up the stairs to where it smelled more like sweaty socks. "We're going to the gym, not a bake sale."

But from upstairs big floor-to-ceiling windows overlooked the merchants down below, and as I pumped iron, I scanned the booths for oh, I dunno....pottery? It is a weakness. Crocheted tea cozies and wooden knick-knacks I can resist, but I'm always on the lookout for something smooth and made of clay.

An hour later, we were downstairs buying a particular type of butter-crock that Jeff (yes, he likes pottery too) has been on the look-out for, the kind where you put water in the bottom and the butter in the top to keep it fresh.

As sugar must be thought of as the Devil's handmaiden, and the irony of eating baked goods after slaving on a rowing-machine would be strong, I resisted the tarts. But hurrah, the pottery is mine!

4 comments:

blackcrag said...

No, Bill, it is just the hypercommercialization that comes early... Christmas decorations and Halloween candy.

Yay for will power, Spider! And another yay for finding a bargain.

Sorry, sweetie, but I won't be home for Christmas this year.

Mel said...

you have more will power than me LOL! I love the pottery but there must be something wrong with me..I serve the butter in the tub it came in! How Crass! LOL

nicki said...

those butter crocks are AMAZING..i used to work in a kitchen store..and we had the coolest butter crocks..all shapes and sizes..have you ever done pottery on your own?

Stephanie said...

I love craftiness! ...and baked goods over gym-going, but we do what we have to do :)

I'm looking forward to an excellent craft fair in Boston called the "Bazaar Bizarre" in December & it's all sorts of "d.i.y. indie crafters" with djs and theramin x-mas carols. Maybe my folks would like dishes made from old vinyl records???

(thanks for visiting my blog, btw :)