Thursday, November 24, 2005

Any Excuse for a Turkey Dinner



Hey, Happy (American) Thanksgiving all!

I'd been wondering why Canadians and Americans celebrated their Thanksgivings on different dates and so , when I happened upon this passage in my friend Kim's blog, I thought I should pass the information along.

She had this to say:

"Whenever I've been asked by American friends, "Why do Canadians celebrate Thanksgiving so much earlier than Americans?", I've always given the answer, "Because our harvest season comes earlier in the year. It's cold up here, y'know."

But I've been WRONG. I've been disseminating false information!

Before Confederation, the date of Thanksgiving shifted throughout the year, and had nothing to do with harvest season. So why do Canadians give thanks? The first official Thanksgiving held after Confederation celebrated HRH The Prince of Wales overcoming a terrible illness in the spring of 1872 -- thank GAWD! It must've been quite the fever, to warrant a national holiday!

Other reasons for holding Thanksgiving in Canada: Cessation of Cholera (1833), For Restoration of Peace with Russia (1856), the Coronation of King Edward VII (1902), and End of Quarantine of Ships at Grosse Isle (1834). Next year, I'll make sure to stand at the head of the table and proudly proclaim to my family how thankful I am for not having cholera, and that the Russians still haven't bombed us. That's sure to raise a few eyebrows."

Something else to raise a few eyebrows: 100 Pound Woman Wins Turkey-eating Contest

So there you have it. I hope y'all are enjoying your turkey and cranberry sauce this evening. :)

3 comments:

Mathieu said...

Well there's for our roots on thanksgiving.

Nice to know. History is nice.

:)

JM said...

Fascinating reasons to give thanks.

Weary Hag said...

Thanks for sharing the details about the Canadian vs. American Thanksgivings. Interesting!

"Ew" to the woman gorging herself on turkey. I never did like those stupid eating contests.

Hope your holiday was a happy and peaceful one.