Friday, November 18, 2005

November in the Garden



This time of year any sunny hour in the garden has to be seized. There's so much work to be done. But it hasn't been too sunny around these parts lately, alas. The West Coast is gorgeous but it can also be a squishy bog.

Most of the autumn it's too dark in the morning to go out and dig in the dirt before work. Nor am I inclined to go out into the cold morning when I'm cozily drinking my tea in my warm kitchen.

Then, by the time I'm finished at work and pick up Jeff, it's five o'clock and dark comes down early. Drat you, Daylight Savings Time!

But the last two afternoons combined glorious sunshine and a slightly different work schedule. I threw myself at the garden: ripping out creeping ranunculus and cutting back shaggy stems. I even deemed it productive to rake the leaves from under the trees now that only a few leaves cling to the tops.

My pile of Weeds-to-Be-Composted-at-the-Dump is getting impressive again.

5 comments:

blackcrag said...

Spider, darlin’, why not compost your own weeds? You have that alley upside your garage. You could buy or scrounge a couple of those plastic composters, and tuck them out of the way there. You stuff the nasty weeds away in the composter, and get nice rich earth in return by the spring.

A green thumb is helped by a compost-brown pinky.

the Monk said...

ah, we look out for the sunshine these days....sunny times are few and far between...

Weary Hag said...

Pretty picture ... and before I forget AGAIN ... that tree in your previous post is awesome!

My fiance cleaned up the yard last weekend and to tell you the truth, I really kind of like the look of the leaves all over the ground. It's sad that they not only fell from the trees, but people can't wait to get rid of them altogether. Poor little leaves. *sigh*

Thanks a ton for stopping by again ... I truly appreciate your kind comment!

Anonymous said...

you know I loved my garden, but I have to admit to appreciating not having one this autumn.

Spider Girl said...

Actually, Blackcrag, I do LOTS of composting. And yep, I have one of those plastic Earth Machines which works very well.

But if you compost the weeds you risk re-seeding all those lovely little darlings in your garden again. They have a community compost pile at the dump in which you can also take your branches from the big trees around my property and the neighbours and so it just makes better sense to me to take away all the stuff that takes more than one year to break down.

I was forced to learn about compost the years my dad was the gardening king: he won best Valley gardener, 1986. Who do you think were his little garden slaves? Hah, me and my brother did NOT believe at the time that gardening built character!