Sunday, July 31, 2005

Soaked to the Skin

I went to the flea market today but it was literally a wash-out.

Oh, I should have listened to the little voice in my head this morning that said "Stay in bed, you fool! You need your sleep and it's going to rain!" I even checked the weather forecast and it said a 40% chance of showers by afternoon.

But I'd gone to the trouble of loading up the car the night before and so I weighed those 4 in 10 chances of a "shower" and decided to go ahead. And the first two hours were excellent. I made forty-six dollars before the heavens opened up and DUMPED their load of rain on us all. I've never seen flea market merchants (usually a leisurely sort of folk) move so fast! I've never seen shoppers make their decisions to purchase so fast! "Rainy day bargain sale!" I wailed as people threw money at me before running for shelter.

The rain was coming down so hard the gravel in the parking lot was jumping. It was a deluge. Everything got soaked. It was futile trying to wring the water out of the Mexican blankets I'd laid on the ground; they were so heavy I had trouble heaving them into the car. Usually it takes me an hour to pack up--I did it in maybe fifteen minutes. Not elegantly, but everything was in the car.

Then home...to strip down to my skin and put on dry things and then the enormous project of drying all my goods (and their sodden cardboard boxes) out.

Bah! And then the rain went away for most of the rest of the day. Bah, I say!

1 comment:

Pol* said...

Poor you, it was really very nice here all day long.I could have even complained about the heat again... imagine only 1 hour and 15 minutes from such RAIN. It would have been nice to have some here (if I was indoors of course).
Glad you made some money anyway.