Thursday, July 07, 2005

Thinking of London..

My mother called me this morning to tell me about the bombings in the London Underground. I was still drifting in a blanket of sleep when she called.

I always think of the area around King's Cross Station as my neighbourhood in London. On both visits there I stayed in a hostel only a few doors away from King's Cross. It was a pleasant afternoon walk to Russell Square and the British Museum.

This morning I thought about the picnic lunch with Mom in Russell Square (she was so upset to see it on the news) and my first time in the London Underground with Tai, asking directions and muddling through.

I also thought about riding on the double-decker bus with Tai. We were the lone passengers up top and we giggled to ourselves because it looked like the bus was driving itself. I thought of this when I saw the mangled wreck of one of those red buses on television this morning.

I'm feeling sad for the people of London today. I know that London has seen a lot of trouble over the years, but this was senseless and random and cruel. I hope nothing else happens.

I'm going to be in London the second week of September for my 13th wedding anniversary. Jeff's never been there and I was thinking we might stay in the same neighbourhood once again. I wonder if it would feel the same to me?

2 comments:

Tai said...

We had some wonderful experiences in that part of the city, didn't we.
May London recover well and quickly, and not suffer any more such mindless tragedy.

Anonymous said...

Don't worry -- without any intention of diminishing this tragedy, London has weathered far worse with admirable grace, dignity and strength.

Domine, dirige nos. Ne cede malis, sed interger vitae scelerisque purus.