Saturday, July 23, 2005

Gin and Tea on a Summer Afternoon



These are my friends Sherry and Emily decked out in their Outrageous Ladies finery at Susan's birthday/tea party. All the ingredients for fun were there: gin, tea, food, friends, and music.

We also formed teams for a most amusing scavenger hunt: Ie. Find someone on your team who is not wearing underwear. At first I couldn't figure out why team captains Claudia and Emily ( today christened Dubya for her zest in battle)fought so fiercely for the privilege of having me on their respective teams.

"She's my best friend!" "No, she's MY best friend!" Until I saw the scavenger hunt list and realized they both loved me only cuz I was not wearing a stitch under my black evening dress. Well, it was THAT kind of dress, you see.

There was also a talent contest wherein Donna got full marks for singing the Canadian anthem in French. Someone spontaneously joined in on kazoo and soon we all had our hands over our hearts humming along drunkenly. It brought a tear to my eye I can tell you.

There was a contest for the weirdest job ever had (it was a toss-up between the woman who sexed beetles by listening to their different whirs, and the person who wanked dogs for a breeding program. "It got me through college", they both sighed.

The contest for grossest stories involved a lot of nudity, ant hills, and urinating sleepwalkers..but you probably had to be there.

This is the third annual party of this sort that Susan has thrown and people are definitely getting into the spirit of it. Only one lady copped out and went for the floral garden party look this year. We had ballerinas, exotic bag ladies, princesses, cabaret stars, and even one drag queen (and Bruce, the name Fiona even suited you!)

I think the winner for party spirit had to be Theresa though. Prim little Theresa who runs a posh kitchen store downtown. She showed up in nothing but flesh-coloured skimpies and a BBQ-Naked apron and chef hat. Both were products from her store with the tags still on. Good advertising I guess. :)

She insisted that she didn't usually drink gin and you could tell.

By the end of the evening (we DID start at three in the afternoon) she was plastered and decided to walk home with her friend who was wearing the most flesh-revealing bridesmaid dress I have ever seen (mostly because she wore it backwards and it didn't have much of a back). We called their husbands to come pick them up because we figured they'd cause a traffic accident walking along the side of the road. Theresa DID look pretty naked from a distance. Sherry and I drove by later and passed their cars by the sides of the road. BBQ-Naked and the Bridesmaid From Hell were both necking with their respective husbands in the backs of their cars. Seems romance was in the air.

Oh, it was a FUN party. And I should know because I was completely SOBER being still on antibiotics. Way to go Susan! Looking forward to next year!

No comments: