Saturday, July 09, 2005

I'm not seeing any little green fairies...

Absinthe is a very pale green and smells like licorice. It burns pleasantly going down, and I recommend sipping carefully. It's probably not as delicious now that it's legal but I found my first taste of it quite nice.

I was under the impression that they don't make it with wormwood (or some other potent ingredient) the way they used to, but Chris says they do.

Chris happened to have some handy in his kitchen cupboard while we were all watching the silly but amusing movie Eurotrip. In the movie the characters sample absinthe and mention to the pudgy green fairy at the next barstool that it is very disappointing that they aren't hallucinating or going the least bit mad after all.

Hmmm....nope, no hallucinations to speak of and I don't even think my typing's that mangled.

Jeff and I popped down to Victoria today and had a very multi-cultural day.

We took in the Folk Fest down by the waterfront and watched Middle Eastern dancing, we ate a Hungarian lagos as a prelude to lunch, migrated to a tasty little Vietnamese restaurant, roamed Chinatown, and ended up having dinner at a very British fish and chip place. All this to the soundtrack of the rowdy Dropkick Murphy's playing in Chris's car.

We considered taking in a movie downtown, most likely The Fantastic Four, but really, as Chris is already the king of home media, we decided we really didn't need to go out to a theatre to see something. Chris has stacks of films we haven't seen yet.

Aside from the aforementioned Eurotrip, we decided on Kill Bill, which really satisfied any urge I had for funky samurai girl fights. I kept thinking 'Wow, that floor must be really slippery with blood by now' but Uma is one sure-footed kind of gal. Maybe Tarantino's style is growing on me because I really enjoyed it.

Our friend Chris can usually be relied on to recommend worthy movies, but I always take his reviews with a grain of salt if they happen to feature Tom Cruise, Leonardo DiCaprio, or Keanu "Chris spits upon him" Reeves.

He has a five star movie rating system ranging from "Amazing" through "meh" and spiralling down to "Crapfest".

No comments: