Saturday, July 30, 2005

Very Glad to See this Ghost

I think it was Mark Twain who said that the rumours of his death had been greatly exaggerated. I guess that sometimes happens because today I saw somebody who I believed to be dead. Because somebody told me so, and I wish I could remember who. I'm so pleased that this was a rumour greatly exaggerated.

It was Mr. Claydon, my wonderful teacher from fourth and fifth grade! (And Tai, I'm sure you'll also be glad to know this because I think I passed on the "news" of his passing to you..that's how it goes).

I was at the Filberg Festival today inside the Lodge where a cloth and fibre art show was being held. There were some beautiful things there. I was just admiring some truly detailed and imaginative dolls when I looked up and there beside me was Mr. Claydon. It gave me quire a start. "Mr. Claydon?..." He is slimmer and greyer now, but considering it has been over twenty years since I was his student he still looks the same as ever.

"It must have been about '82 or '83 he reckoned, since I was in his class. "But there's always something in a face that makes you remember", he said. He remembered me!

Tai and I used to pester him with all sorts of science and mysteries-of-the-universe type questions and he always took the time to give us a thoughtful answer. (Does everybody taste things the same? Do we all see the colour blue the same way?...I remember particularly the day we posed these questions to him.)

I told him how much I appreciated him as a teacher, and that Tai and I still remembered him fondly. We chatted a little bit about old times and art and I introduced him to my mom and her friend Joan. It was just so wonderful to see him.

It is so rarely you get a chance to tell someone how much you appreciate them after they're dead, you know. Although I didn't tell him just how surprised I was to see him.

1 comment:

Tai said...

Oh, thanks VERY much for telling him I think fondly on him...and that he's actually NOT dead!