Friday, September 30, 2005

Trying to Be Zen Here

My favourite purse, the black and white cloth one from Ecuador that I have carried across the world with me many times, is finally beyond hope of repair. The lining is ripped. The zipper has broken. It's more grey than white.

It's trashed. Kaput. It's time to throw it out.

To make myself feel slightly better about this sad event (waaahhh!), I re-read a little Zen story about a famous Buddhist monk called Ikkyu:

"As a young monk, Ikkyu got himself in trouble one day when he accidentally dropped his master's tea cup, breaking it into many pieces.

This was serious, because the tea cup was the master's favorite. It was a rare treasure, beautifully crafted from precious material. Of all of the master's possessions, it was probably the one thing he cherished the most - and now it was hopelessly smashed!

Ikkyu felt guilty, but before he could formulate a plan to get away, he heard footsteps approaching. He swept the broken pieces together and, blocking them from view with his body, turned to face the door just as the master entered.

When they were within speaking distance, Ikkyu asked: "Master, why must people die?"

The master replied: "It is perfectly natural. Everything in the world experiences both life and death."

"Everything?"

"Everything."

"So it is not something we should feel upset about?"

"Definitely not."

At that point, the crafty Ikkyu moved aside to present the broken pieces. "Master... your cup has experienced its inevitable death..."

Boy, I bet Ikkyu's master was really ticked off.....

Sigh. My purse has experienced its inevitable death.

(Spider Girl-san contemplates her navel wisely for a moment and resolves to put the purse in the trash come garbage day.)

4 comments:

Tai said...

Your purse has been well used, well traveled, and well loved.

Time to let it rest?

:)

Anonymous said...

"The latest sun is sinking fast, my race is nearly run
My strongest trials now are past, my triumph is begun
O come Angel Band, come & around me stand
O bear me away on your snow-white wings to my immortal home
O bear me away on your snow-white wings to my immortal home...."

Substitute 'me' with 'my purse'. Resquiat in pacem, o beloved bag.

Pol* said...

sigh....

M. Santos said...

I say don't throw it out- harvest it into a keepsake to remind you of all the time you spent together. A set of coasters, a tea cozy, anything. I plan to do that with my buddy chuck the 100 lb dog when he goes.
I can have him stuffed and use him as an ottoman or coffee table.