Monday, April 24, 2006

Visit From the Compost Fairy




Once upon a time my brother asked me what he could get me for my birthday, and I answered from the bottom of my gardener's heart: a load of manure, pretty please.

"I can't give you manure for your birthday", I remember him scoffing. "What kind of present is that?"

Apparently pooh was not an acceptable birthday present. But that was in the days before he became a gardener too. I suspect he'd have a different opinion now.

Jeff and I came home from work today to find the Compost Fairy, otherwise known as Jeff's mom, busily shovelling a truckload of well-aged fish compost onto the side of my driveway. The stuff is black gold in the garden. It's a token of appreciation for Jeff doing her taxes--it's much welcomed...yep, give us a pile of well-rotted fish innards (as long as they're not smelly anymore) and we're content. :)

I spent the early part of the evening tonight hauling it around to my garden beds--eighty buckets worth and then I stopped because my arms told me to and I was red-faced and somewhat sweaty. Also, I hadn't had any dinner yet.



On my brother's blog the other day I read a description of all the work he went to installing a little Zen garden with pond in his yard. He's getting his yard ready for the wedding in July. I seem to recall that he hauled about eighty loads of gravel to the new garden site. My sympathies, brother. I have a new understanding of your project.

The pictures in this post are all of flora blooming in my garden at the moment...

16 comments:

Tai said...

Who knew poo would do!
(as a birthday present I mean!)

Crazy Me said...

I'm sooooo jealous of all your pretty flowers!! Not so much the poo though!

Miss B said...

I can't believe how many flowers you've got there! I have yet to see actual flowers in bloom in Ottawa yet!

JJ said...

Your flowers are lovely... you have a gift!

Sandy said...

It's amazing how excited gardeners get about poop. Especially when it is delivered:)

Pol* said...

Breath taking! I actually got my hands dirty myself! Though not to the same results this weekend. I am taking my sideyard seriously this year, and have plans for it. I love your flowers

Grant said...

Nature is pretty, but a pain in the butt. Give me glass and steel and concrete any day. I'll just drop by your blog when I want to see pretty smelly things.

Mz.Elle said...

Ooooh I'm jealous,in a good way!
Soo,soo,SO pretty!
Nothing is in bloom here yet:(
It's so good to see all your pretties!

Crystal said...

I *love* these pictures, I can practically smell the flowers!

kimber said...

Your pictures make me ache for a garden of my very own! Piles of poop and all!

blackcrag said...

Ah, the garden looks great, Spider. Beautiful.

I am missing my yearly putter in the garden... digging over the veggie patch, weeding, and yes, shoveling dirt (and maure) from one pile to another.

Do a little digging for me, eh?

Jade L Blackwater said...

Your garden looks fabulous SpiderGirl, and I am so totally jealous of your fish compost!!!

adman said...

I guess manure is a suitable gift after all, and really, in the end, don't you just end up with a huge load of crap anyway...imagine the suprise party element when someone dumps a couple of tons of well rotted horse manure in your driveway at 6 in the morning....thanks for the link by the way

nicki said...

OOOOOOOOOOOH!! i LOOOOOOVE all your flowers!!!!

Josh said...

Those are my favorite kind of daffodils! So pretty!

Tim Rice said...

You have a beautiful garden(s).