Sunday, February 05, 2006

Sword Dance



Drat it, now why did I go and sell my dance sword a few months back?

This is the first time in the history of the world that I've actually taken something of mine that I never use, converted it into useful cash, and then regretted it. It almost never happens, people!

All of you out there with chuckaphobia (fear of throwing things out), can rest easy and continue cleaning out your basement clutter, because even when you do rid yourself of something a little prematurely, there's always a friend or two who can help you out.

Sherry brought over her beautiful sword in its blue velvet sheath this evening so I can practice with it until the June show at the Abbey.

My bellydance teacher has come back from the Bellydance Superstars show in Vancouver bursting with bold new ideas and sheafs of paper with new choroegraphies scribbled all over them. They look a bit like football plays, with lots of circles and arrows on them.

Yes, yours truly is going to learn to dance with a sword on her head.

How hard can it be?

Heh, I was once watching a dancer whirl a sword around at a performance at an old folks' home and it went flying out of her hands mid-pirouette and nearly took out someone's grandpa. Fortunately it missed.

They aren't particularly sharp (which is good because they dig into your head as it is) but they are rather heavy. Any votes on how many people I'll take out in the process of learning this dance?

12 comments:

Meow (aka Connie) said...

Let me know where you rehearse ... I won't be there !!! Scared of swords, that I am !!! Hope all goes well ... don't kill anyone !!!

BostonPobble said...

I. Cannot. Even. Imagine. You are ballsy beyond my wildest imagination (and that's saying something!)

Tai said...

you can borrow my sword...

:)

Grant said...

As long as you have to replace the sword, why not go with a modern variation and pick a chainsaw? If you're worried that it'll hurt your head, just add a viking helmet and hockey mask to your ensemble. Also, instead of the traditional outfit could you wear a Catholic school girl's uniform or a thong? Thanks oodles.

Mz.Elle said...

That is so cool!

I'm with Sherry,I'd do some serious damage..I do serious damage with my pony tail,never mind a sword,hee

C said...

That is cool! Hey, only missing one thing you've liquidated is a pretty good record, I say. You actually balance the thing on your head *while dancing?* That's amazing.

I just noticed you have a Gerald Durrel book in your faves. OMG you are the first person I've ever "met" who has read any of his books!! :o) I wsa too stupid to put him in my faves, but that's gonna change. :o)

JM said...

Belly dancing is tough. I also think it's rather sexy.

blackcrag said...

None, because you re too good a dancer. But if I come to the show, could you trim my hair with the sword please? It's a little long in on the left...

I remember the sword dancer form the show your troupe put on several years back. It was cool. Is the whole troupe doing a sword dance number or are you soloing?

Skye said...

That's impressive.

Spider Girl said...

Grant: Why thank you for the suggerstions. I'll run your costuming ideas by the troupe. :)

Blackcrag: It's a troupe dance. We're in this together.

kimber said...

I say, go for maximum collateral damage. "Dancer snaps, takes out front row of audience"... You'll be netorious!

blackcrag said...

So many dancers, so many swords... hmmm... I don't think Saw or The Texas Chainsaw Massacre will have anything on you and your troupe!

Just joking, sweetie. I'm sure you will be entrancing.