Saturday, August 12, 2006

Spirit of the West and a Grand Picnic

I think one of the definitions of a good morning is sitting in the dappled shade of a tree, closing your eyes and swaying slightly as you listen to Celtic folk-punk band Spirit of the West play If Venice is Sinking.

It's one of my favourite songs and there is nothing quite like the energy of an outdoor concert.





Jeff and Kim and Zoe and me went back to the Filberg Festival for a second time two days after our first visit, this time bringing Shawn along.

Paying the ten dollar entrance fee twice is absolutely justified to hear live music like this. They are quite simply great.

And their musicians hail from Vancouver and Victoria, making them locals, which is even better!

I'd never heard them live before, although Kim has drunk apple-juice with the band before at some point in her life. Yes, apple-juice.

I love their version of Home for a Rest,that ultimate binge-beer-drinking ballad, and the crowd roared along to the chorus of that ex-pat favourite Old Sod , the old sod being Scotland,and not some elderly drunk as the lead singer pointed out:



There's none more Scots than the Scots abroad
There's a place in our hearts for the Old Sod!


"Och, that was magic!", one of the musicians declared as the audience led one chorus on our own.



Ah, and let's hear it for penny-whistle and accordion soloists!


After the concert, the four of us and baby Zoe wandered the Festival grounds for a while. We were mostly shopped out (ie. we are poor), so we didn't make the local artisans much richer today, but we did find a great spot for a picnic on a shady hill where we could eat our spanakopita and Greek salads and donairs while looking down on the white tents of the Festival and the water and mountains beyond.



Shawn and I wandered along the edge of the herb garden there, taking photos of bees and butterflies.

Oh, and there was gelato involved somewhere along the way.

Och, a grand day!

12 comments:

Ian Lidster said...

I saw Spirit of the West when they first played in Courtenay a gazillion years ago. They played at a terrific dance at the Lower Native Sons. And it was really nice to see you at Showcase -- twice, yet. Glad you enjoyed. We sure did.

Cheers,
Ian

Dinah said...

Awesome pictures.

I have very fond memories of hearing and singing Home for a Rest at a packed pub on St. Patrick's Day.

It sounds like an awesome place.

Dagoth said...

Hi Spider

Entrance fee to the festival $10 (2x), Beautiful hat for Wolfgrrrl 95$ (she should have bought it), A big ol' shade tree to sit under while watching a celtic folk-punk band with friends...priceless

Miss Smuggersham said...

Wow, what a perfect day! Perfect music, perfect lunch and perfect place!

Thanks for stopping by on my blog!

Phil said...

I really like Celtic music too but I've never heard of Celtic folk-punk. I checked out their site but didn't see any samples. Sounds like a fun time, beautiful setting

Tim Rice said...

Outdoor concerts on a beautiful day are absolutely wonderful!

Tai said...

I so wanted to be there.

Little did I know the reason that I couldn't be there was because they (work I mean) were planning on firing someone that directly affected my position.

Ah well...I have all next week!

kimber said...

We so wanted you to be there too, Tai, but soon you'll be back in town.... and while Spirit of the West may have gone, we can certainly break out their CD's and turn it up loud while cavorting around in the back yard. :)

Great pictures, Spider! Can I use that one of me, eating, for my blogger pic? I really like it!

Spider Girl said...

But of course, Kimber..it's an awfully cute picture I thought.

Anonymous said...

I was -listening- to these guys while I was painting children's faces... Why didn't you stop for a face-bug?
Linda

adman said...

I absolutely not belive that you have never heard Spirit of the West before...all that time on Denman and not one show??? They played the LOFT once in about 1994...it was great...although the crowd seemed to like the canned dance music at the intermission better...more flailling room for me.

Oun said...

What if all the people of this world could share just one day of peace?