Friday, August 25, 2006

Sadness

My good friend's little brother has died, and it is just so wrong.

He was young, just thirty-one, newly-married and had just found out a few days before that he was going to become a father. Nobody knows why he died. The tests after his death showed a young man in apparent perfect health.

The universe seems mean sometimes and frighteningly arbitrary.

I was on holiday last week and had all sorts of fun times, but coming home to this sad news, it seemed wrong to write about all that until I'd said something about this.

So here is the poem my friend read out to remember his brother at the funeral. It pretty much says it all.

W. H. Auden

Stop all the clocks, cut off the telephone
Prevent the dog from barking with a juicy bone,
Silence the pianos and with muffled drum
Bring out the coffin, let the mourners come.

Let aeroplanes circle moaning overhead
Scribbling on the sky the message He Is Dead,
Put crepe bows round the white necks of the public doves,
Let the traffic policemen wear black cotton gloves.

He was my North, my South, my East and West,
My working week and my Sunday rest,
My noon, my midnight, my talk, my song;
I thought that love would last for ever: I was wrong.

The stars are not wanted now: put out every one;
Pack up the moon and dismantle the sun;
Pour away the ocean and sweep up the wood.
For nothing now can ever come to any good.

14 comments:

Momo said...

I'm terribly sorry to hear about your friend's brother.

What a touching poem. I've always liked it - but never knew who wrote it.

His family (and friends) are in my thoughts...

Eric said...

My condolences to you and his family as well. So senseless.

blackcrag said...

I'm very sorry to hea about him, Spider. Ihope it isn't anyone I know...

x said...

i am sorry Spider. the universe is randomly cruel, yes. sometimes nothing makes sense. :(

Leandro Palencia said...

Fade far away, dissolve, and quite forget
What thou among the leaves hast never known,
The weariness, the fever, and the fret
Here, where men sit and hear each other groan;
Where palsy shakes a few, sad, last gray hairs,
Where youth grows pale, and spectre-thin, and dies;
Where but to think is to be full of sorrow
And leaden-eyed despairs;
Where Beauty cannot keep her lustrous eyes,
Or new Love pine at them beyond to-morrow.

JOHN KEATS, Ode to a Nightingale


Habré de levantar la vasta vida
que aún ahora es tu espejo:
cada mañana habré de reconstruirla.
Desde que te alejaste,
cuántos lugares se han tornado vanos
y sin sentido, iguales
a luces en el día.
Tardes que fueron nicho de tu imagen,
músicas en que siempre me aguardabas,
palabras de aquel tiempo,
yo tendré que quebrarlas con mis manos.
¿En qué hondonada esconderé mi alma
para que no vea tu ausencia
que como un sol terrible, sin ocaso,
brilla definitiva y despiadada?
Tu ausencia me rodea como la cuerda a la garganta,
el mar al que se hunde.

JORGE LUIS BORGES, Ausencia

Dagoth said...

Hi Spider

My condolences to you and your friend. One can never find any sense in the loss of someone, especially someone so young, for no apperant cause. I recently went through my own senseless loss, with no answers to be found except that the death seems to have no justification anymore than the tragedies that befall us when we are alive. Those that remain behind need to find a way to go on. I wish his family well...

Mel said...

So sorry about your friend Spider. So young, what a tragedy.

Tim Rice said...

That is so sad. Life hurts in times like these. The poem speaks volumes.

Jean-Luc Picard said...

Well chosen words; I'm sorry for your friend's loss.

Josh said...

That is just awful about your friend's brother. I'm so sorry.

PBS said...

Oh I'm so sorry to hear about your good friend's brother. That had to be such a shock to all of you. I like that poem, it was read at the funeral in the movie, "Four Weddings and a Funeral" with Hugh Grant.

Kayla said...

What a tragedy.
It does seem quite arbitrary.
That is a lovely poem; very bittersweet.

ZooooM said...

A bit late, but my codolences to you and your friends.

Zambo said...

Hey Spider Girl.

I was saddened to read that post.

Quite a touching poem...

Sorry for the loss of your friend's brother.

Your Pal,

Zambo.