Tuesday, May 16, 2006

One Hundred and Twenty in the Shade



It felt like summer today. Gorgeous hot sunshine. It felt so wonderful on my face this morning (well, behind a hat and liberal sunscreen that is).

But by mid-afternoon I felt like wilting, the delicate flower that I am. I was ready to hide in the shadows or stand in front of an open fridge. My body apparently hasn't adjusted yet from the cool Canadian winter temperatures.

I'm surprised at how much I felt the heat today. It's only twenty-eight degrees, I told myself. That's not much more than eighty Fahrenheit, right?

I've been hotter than this.

A few years back I travelled in Spain and Morocco in late July. Note to self: that's really not the smartest time of year to travel if you're not very fond of hot weather. The mercury was like nothing I've ever experienced before.

One bakingly-hot afternoon as we wandered through the eerily-quiet streets of Marrakech (there were a few merchants selling fruit and bottled water, but mostly it was just us and some mad dogs and Englishmen about), I noticed that the asphalt was becoming soft and malleable under my feet. You could push the toe of your shoe into the pavement and leave an impression. My feet could feel the heat uncomfortably through my thin rubber soles.

I had to laugh when I realized it was so hot my shoes were melting. They never did recover.

The temperature hit 52 degrees Celsius that day (that's around 125 Fahrenheit).

I watched fascinated as huge globules of sweat formed above the neckline of my dress, perfectly round drops that paused before they slid down my front and disappeared. I honestly didn't know I could produce so much perspiration.

You know the saying, "Horses sweat, men perspire, and women glow"? Well, I was glowing so much you could have stuck me on the top of a light-house and used me as a beacon.

The air-conditioning unit in our hotel roared and coughed like a truck revving its engine, but it somehow was the sweetest sound when we finally sought refuge in our cool, dim room, firmly shuttered against the sun.

So I really shouldn't complain about a little Spring sunshine. But a breeze would be nice. Just a little one?

9 comments:

Mathieu said...

52 celcius!!!

damn!

BRING ME WATER PLEASE. Cool and filtered.

But, my dirty mind can't help but imagine a sweaty girl. Sexy even if I try to shut it out.

*tries hard*

28 is nice. I love that kind of temperature. in a month, 28 will seem like nothing. Simply warm. We're not used to it yet.

Notice how in the spring when it's 20 celcius outside, we don't can't wait to be in a t-shirt and in autumn, 20 celcius is cold?

Have a good day. And a little breeze.

Heather said...

We never are quite satisfied with the weather are we? It's hot on the other side of the mountains too...we're supposed to get over 30C today.

Tai said...

"I was glowing so much you could have stuck me on the top of a light-house and used me as a beacon."

Too FUNNY!

Eric said...

I can't survive in any weather below 30 F or above 85 F. And I'm southern originally. I should be more tolerant.

Tim Rice said...

Along as I have water and can get outside, hot weather generally hasn't bothered me too much. Now indoors can be a different story.

Crazy Me said...

Just a month ago I was praying for the Texas heat. Now, I'm ready for fall! And the hottest months aren't even close yet. Wahhhhhh!

Zambo said...

Hey Spider Girl!

I haven't been the best Blogger these days...so I'm catching up.

I enjoyed your Pac-Man pillow story. You're doing a great job with the costumes. It think they're gonna be a big hit!

Your Moroccan heat story cracked me up. I know what you mean about being in hot places. My ancestors come from a really hot place and whenever I visit, I wonder if I could actually live there all year.

Take care out there, Spider Girl!

Your Pal,

Zambo.

Pol* said...

hot hot hot.
I am getting used to it, slightly. It will be cooler again soon..... nothing like Morocco until global warming really gets going.

Josh said...

It was in the hundreds (F) again last week. And the humidity, ug. I can not imagine July and August. Global warming?