Thursday, May 04, 2006

Jingly Underwear and Related Anxiety

This nature walk is brought to you by the letters "A" (for slight Anxiety) and "B" (for Barely-There Bellydance Costume).

My dance troupe is having a sewing bee next weekend and we'll be starting to make the costumes we'll be wearing at the show in June.

The top part is literally a bra with jangly things sewn onto it. Wonderful sparkly things actually---coins, beads, charms, cowrie shells, and part of an elaborate silver Indian necklace...alas, it's still an alarmingly small amount of material.

I'm accustomed to Indian- style choli tops or ruffled gypsy/peasant blouses when I dance, and I'm feeling like there's going to be a lot more of Spider Girl's skin exposed than I prefer.

The only solution to being comfortable dancing- in- my- underwear (albeit sparkly, jazzed-up underwear) in public that I can see is to whip my l'il tum-tum into the best shape of its life in the next six weeks. I've held a little pep-rally in my head to convince myself it can be done.

Of course it can be done. All one truly needs is an incentive ( an upcoming wedding, or better yet, a high-school reunion) to look deep into oneself and find a really firm resolve to enjoy salad and daily exercise.

And so, a perfect reason to take the photographs in this post-- a brisk evening walk through the trails and foot-paths around the local Air Park (through the forest, along the streams of the Millard-Piercy watershed, along the beach, and past the helicopter hangars), my second hike there this week. It was gorgeous out there.

Plus I've managed to actually make an appearance at the gym and danced two classes this week. So, blog-readers, Operation Proud-in-my-Jingle-Bra begins.









13 comments:

Lori Stewart Weidert said...

I'm singing "Jingle Bra" now, to the tune of Jingle Bells.

I need a jingle-bra motivator. I really just want one, without the dancing. I'm coming to sewing bee night.

BostonPobble said...

Woo-Hoo for Operation Proud in My Jingle-Bra! GNG ended up with Jingle Bra to the tune of Jingle Bells. I ended up with Jingle Bra Rock. It's all good. And you will jingle with the best of 'em!

Pol* said...

Lovely pictures to accompany the post..... great lead in to why they are there. About the Jingle Bra (and all the songs that come to mind too) You have no reason to be timid! Your dancing is absolutely spellbinding! And your skin will glow as pale and bright as the full moon anyway, so everyone will be dazzled by that elegantly undulating mid-drift and it's porcelain perfection! And of course the jingling sparkly bits above and below! (too much?)

Tai said...

YEAH! What 'Pol said!

Mz.Elle said...

Ohhhh gorgeous pics!!

You can do it.You can do it. YOU CAN DO IT!! YAYAYAYAYAY!
lol
I think I need an operation something or other to give me a boost again:)

Grant said...

I recommend you practice dancing naked so, when it comes time to dance next weekend, you'll feel formal and overdressed. Be sure to blog pictures of you practicing. =)

Dagoth said...

Hi Spider! Happy Cinco de Mayo!

I was just checking out the prices for plane flights to Vancouver in june and they are really expensive but I'm sure would be worth it...;-)

Also I "looked inside myself to find some firm resolve" but didn't find much of anything firm anymore...:(

kimber said...

I've seen what happens when you resolve to do anything.... it gets done, pronto! While I'm of the 'jiggle with pride' philosophy, I'm sure you'll have a belly of marble by the end of June! :)

Anonymous said...

Girl Jingly underwear woke me up. LOL

Josh said...

Good luck with the nakedness. :D

blackcrag said...

Spider, based on pol's description, may I suggest something dark and sparkly?

If your skin is going to glow, and you'll have shiny things on the wisps of your costume, then a dark blue material would make it look like the night sky and you would be a moon dancer.

I'm sure you'll be wonderfull at the dance, and look great with your super-toned belly. You are a busy bundle of energy, out-working a hive of bees, even on your slower days.

I'm rooting for you!

Tim Rice said...

Your photographs are terrific. Loved them.

tsduff said...

Love the pictures - especially the second to last one. Good going, (the gym and all)