Friday, May 19, 2006

Crazy Big Flowers and Coffee Shop Goodbyes

Something I'm happy about:
I'm in love with my tree peony--it's got the craziest, most enthusiastically enormous flowers I know. A bride could use one of these flowers all by itself as a bouquet. But the bridesmaids trying to catch it would have to watch out. One of these beauties could probably knock the wind out of you if it hit you in the head.

I could swear they weren't in bloom yesterday. They just sort of exploded sometime in the wee hours of this morning.

Something I'm unhappy about:

My favourite local coffee-shop has been sold and is becoming a chain known as Serious Coffee . I have nothing against that chain in particular--I've never been to one...I only hope their coffee is not too serious---it's just that I'm going to miss Joe Read's . There are not enough fabulous coffee shops around alas.

They had the cheapest lattes in town. They had a sitting area where you could stay for a long time without staff hassling you to buy another drink (they had a chess board and board games available). You could browse their little book-shelves for something to buy and read, and they had obscure but talented musicians there jamming on their guitars or violins or harps on music nights. I met Oona McOuat here!

There was always local art on the walls, and darnit, that's where the local pagan Coffee Cauldron used to hang out.

14 comments:

Tai said...

Can't wait to see those peonies....

blackcrag said...

My mother was telling me Overwaitea/SuperSave (or whatever it turned into) is being driven out by Wal-mart and Superstore, and a couple other changes going on in the Valley. I'm not unhappy about that, outside the fact it will probably hurt my old co-workers who still rememer me and say hi after all these years.... but I am both surprised and a little hurt that Joe Read's is going.

I have some good memories there, including a poetry reading some years back. I will miss it next time I am home.

Amy said...

peonies are my favorites! and WOW those are lovely.

The Miner said...

Lovely photos as always!

BostonPobble said...

Our local coffee place went down. It's a very sad thing. :(

adman said...

Peonies I don't care for...its not their flowers (they are a bit fancy) but mine always collapse, even in the hoops I bought...but on the bright side the are a good home for ants...always a billion ants on my peonies...sucks about the coffee shop (Serious Suck)...but business is business and business must grow, regardless of crummies in tummies you know

Josh said...

The pics are great.

Know what you mean about the little guys getting squeezed out. Starbucks takes over here.

Pol* said...

Those are STUNNING flowers, I can't quite wrap my head around how big they are. Being near them reminds me of being a small child.

I have been to 2 Serious Coffees. It could be worse! They are a very small chain here on the Island and each have their own uniqueness and smallness. Not much may change! Local artists' trinkets and art are all over the place in the one near Ladysmith (and a comfy couch and fireplace)

Momo said...

I'm sorry you're losing your favorite coffee shop. We still have a few local ones around here that haven't been swallowed up by corporations. I don't know what I'd do if ours closed!

I love your flowers!

Crazy Me said...

I hate it when local faves close down. Everything is too corporate these days ... sigh.

Jade L Blackwater said...

What an awesome tree! I love the image of a bride knocking someone out with a toss of one of those flowers. :D

tsduff said...

I had two peonies growing in the yard. When this used to be Grandma's yard, she used to go out and throw ice cubes on the plants to aid their growth. Unfortunately, those plants never thrived, and I lost them before ever achieving those gorgeous flowers. Yours are fabulous!

OB Juan said...

Joe Read's....I didn't go there much but when I did it was an enjoyable experience....it will be sadly missed on every visit "home"

Ian Lidster said...

Love your flowers, but also, on a hometown note, not only is there the Joe Read's thing, but also Rocky Mtn. House will soon be gone. I know it's moving to Comox, but that won't be the same as sitting under the big old walnut tree, now will it?