Wednesday, May 24, 2006

For Those of You Who Missed the Parade...Memories of a Home-made Dragon Costume


Queen Victoria might have described Sunday's small-town experience as "No pudding and no fun! " (as the grand lady was wont to say), but surely even she would applaud the dedication of coming out to the Victoria Day Parade in the pelting rain.

If you happened to be sensibly snug and dry in your bed that holiday morning, you missed:

* an ear-splitting array of fire-engine sirens, Sparky the Fire dog, and the sight of me waving and yelling to my friend Bridget in one of the fire-trucks. I earned her two points...she was having a little competition with her male fire-fighter friend to see who could get the most women to wave at them. She won. :)

* An entry by the Holy Chicken Performing Arts society featuring costumed stilt-walkers, hula-hoopers, fairies, and sinister-looking hooded medieval types

* Six, count'em, SIX pipe bands playing the two songs that bagpipes seem to play at parades. One of the pipers had a leopard pelt of some description over his shoulder. Are leopards traditionally Scottish?

*Hordes of children on decorated bicycles. I did this when I was a kid but I doubt I would've been dedicated enough to ride in the rain. It doesn't take that much work to tie the pom-poms on after all.

* A little black car with hand-painted flames on its hood which would lurch backwards and then gun the engine forward to produce a smoke show , instantly triggering a flood of memories from when my friend Tai used to do parking-lot smoke-shows in her Dodge Charger. Ah, those were the days....

* A parade of politicians in vehicles heavily advertising Dodge Chrysler Jeep. That's fine and all, but on many of the cars they'd forgotten to put the little sign up saying which politician/ very important person was inside. "So it's kind of like watching really slow traffic go by", observed my friend, who, like me, comes to these parades solely out of childhood nostalgia.

* And finally, two people valiantly trying to fill out a dragon costume. It was a favourite entry of mine. It may not have been spectacular, but Kim and I immediately shouted when we saw it.

You see, once upon a time, long years ago, but in this very village parade, the childhood selves of Tai and Kim and I wore a dragon costume too. It was dreadfully clever for something made from cardboard boxes and green garbage bags.

We worked long hours on it, and I've been looking around my house trying to find the old faded photograph of ourselves in all our reptilian glory, but perhaps it's better, gentle readers, if you use your imaginations.

Its cardboard mouth was open and lined with cardboard teeth. It had a long spiked back and a tail that could swish around if we were careful not to trip. The dragon wore a flowered lei around its neck, our sole concession to the Hawaiian theme of the parade day.

Iif I'm remembering correctly (ah, those fuzzy-edged happy memories) we'd stop walking along the parade route every so often to do a little marching-in-place Dragon Dance .

It was hot and dark inside the beast :if you think about it, that's very authentic for being inside a dragon under any circumstance.

Tai was the brains behind the head of our lizard, Kim walked in the middle, and I was the tail-swisher. It was a long parade route to walk, hunched over and two out of three of us mostly-blind. I had a lovely view of our sneakers and the pavement.

But I remember our jubiliation when we won the ten dollar prize for Best Costume in our category (whatever that was). Back then, with a twenty-five cent a week allowance, ten dollars was big money. Even split four ways. You see, my other best friend in the world, Pol, helped make the dragon, even if she wasn't inside.

When we saw that dragon in this weekend's parade, we were thinking of that stuffy but nostalgic walk down the main street twenty years ago.

Watching this year's dragon, Kim's comment was: "They need a third person inside. Then it would have been great."

10 comments:

Tai said...

$10 bucks. Now THAT was wealth.

We *RAWKED* that show in our garbage bagged, cardboard headed dragon! No question about it.

(I must admit. I didn't go. I was snuggled in a warm bed that morning, very much on purpose!)

kimber said...

I admit, Tai, that I was tempted to follow your lead and stay in my snuggly bed, but as it was Zoe's first parade, I thought it might sound bad in years to come if I admitted to jamming on the occasion.

For me, seeing the dragon made standing in the rain worthwhile. It brought back happy happy memories of being the belly of the beast. (Maybe next year, we could make a comeback? The Return of the Lei-wearing Dancing Garbage Bag Dragon? hah!)

Mathieu said...

Woohooo! 10$

And of course the woman should win the waving contest...
But to win against a firefighter... quite a feat.

Sounds like lovely memories.

Lori Stewart Weidert said...

I love this story, though it caused me to break proper cubicle ettiquette when I guffawed outloud in a few places. Love the parking lot smoke show with you and Tai, and the view (sidewalk and tennis shoes) was a perfect touch.

Nice one!

Mz.Elle said...

Beautiful post:)

BostonPobble said...

I loved every word of this post. But that is not unusual here.

freethoughtguy said...

Looks like it rained on your parade, but it was still fun!

adman said...

I was in that parade once...on the back of a curch float...no kidding...it was a model of the church...the 100 aniversery or something...but to be honest sister, I don't remember the dragon....I know about it, but I have no concrete memory of it. We don't have parades here, so I got to snuggle in a warm bed.

Eric said...

Yes, very good post.

Just curious, but was the smoke show colored? I heard they had special tires that made smoke of a certain color when, uh, smoked.

Tim Rice said...

Ah, I love these pics. Great celebration.