Friday, December 29, 2006

Merry Christmas from Azeroth and Other Holiday Miscellany

Okay, it's even a little festive -looking in the video game I play, so Merry Christmas from the World of Warcraft to all my gamer friends out there---you know who you are!

You will probably recognize me as blue-skinned Zalli the Troll who just happens to be riding a reindeer down the cheery holiday-lighted streets of Orgrimmar, but you may not recognize me as quickly in the green Santa-gnome disguise. Clue : I spent some time in the gnomish Wonder-volt Christmasinator machine.

Hey, all you folks who don't play, you may just disregard all of the above. :)

I was following a conversation in the general chat on this game the other day and one fellow was claiming that no girls played this game, even if they played female characters. "Just remember", he said. "GIRL means Guy in Real Life."

He is so wrong. Just wanted to clarify that.

****************************************************************************
In other news, I discovered the true meaning of holiday joy is when your friends arrive bearing a Cartload- of -Delicatessan -Food -and -Mead....

Yes, Tai and Chris can be my houseguests for the holidays any old time if they are caring to bring

* ice-wine and brandy
*three varieties of mead
*blackberry wine and Baileys
* four or five different kinds of cheese
*olives, pate, artichoke hearts, and pesto
*pita and bagel chips
*dolmades
* and (MY Favourite by far) red hot chili peppers stuffed with feta cheese--you've got to try these, they're amazing!

We had been planning on going out for lunch but after half an hour quaffing from various bottles and munching away on the delicacies nobody needed any more lunch. Mmmmmm!

Oh, and for my friend Pol who asked about my kitchen, the renovations are coming along nicely. We have to add some detailing still,but you can see the general look in the background.
********************************************************************************
Oh, and just for interest's sake, I've noted some differences on how guys and girls wrap presents, as witnessed at a holiday staff party.

In the first photograph here, we see a gathering of typical female wrapping techniques, what with lavish bows and curly ribbons and such. For instance, the big Victorian-themed gift bag is a present from me.

Next we see a gift wrapped by a guy.

*reeling back, hand across eyes to protect from tape glare*

Note how the vast amounts of scotch tape insidiously trap the present inside a barricade of stickiness and newspaper designed to foil even those who don't mind ripping into a package with tooth and nail. Or heck, even scissors. Yes, even the bow was carefully covered for maximum effect.

Heh, points for effort though. And recycling newspaper.

**********************************************************************************

Here is my living-room taken the day after Christmas. I LOVE the red colour of my walls especially at this time of year.

And I'm ever so pleased with our new reading-lamp (seen at the left). Those "natural light" bulbs are much more pleasant for reading books under. I plan to spend lots of time sitting nearby it in the New Year.

We got some great new books as gifts!

It's a tradition at my family's house that after Christmas dinner is eaten, we all open one last present and it is always a book. In my family, books are much appreciated gifts!

This year I got a lovely little book called Italy: a Capricious tour by Barbara Hodgson. It's one of those delightful books of anecdotes: historical, artistic, architectural and biographical that you can open at random and enjoy each page its opened to all by itself.

Jeff got a book by Rafael Sabatini, my mom got a book on cathedrals, and my father got a book of watercolour paintings on the history of the city of Vancouver. Delicious choices all!

As well, we now own a copy of Italian for Dummies --we have about four months to learn it!






*****************************************************

Now my favourite part of this season is all the friends who suddenly appear in town to visit!

I spent some time with my old friend Blackcrag (who is moving to Ottawa soon) and I even got to see my Heather L. unexpectedly.

The six of us (Kim, Shawn, and Zoe were there too) spent a good couple of hours hanging out at the local Tim Horton's yesterday: coffee, bagels and conversation!

16 comments:

JR's Thumbprints said...

I'm not much of a gamer, having received Prison Tycoon for Christmas. After my initial play, seven inmates were badly beaten or dead. I hope your game isn't as violent.

Sounds like you had a wonderful time catching up with friends at Tim Horton's. Here to more of the same: Happy New Year!

Eric said...

No, smart guys have other people wrap gifts for them at the store. ^_^

Digging the red, by the way.

Happy New Year!

Tim Rice said...

Looks like you had a marvelous Christmas! And may you have tremendously happy New Year!

C said...

I'm not sure how I lost track of your blog, but I'm glad you swung by mine so I could find you again. :)

I cheat on gift wrapping. I make a bunch of cloth bags from Christmas fabric that I pick up from Walmart's $1 and $2 tables or JoAnn's after-Christmas sales. Then it's just a matter of dumping in the gift and pulling the drawstring or tying it shut with a ribbon. The best part is that I can use them over an over, though I always end up giving some way, too. I wonder how far they'll travel. :) Not very Martha (she does do some fantabulous wrapping, doesn't she?) but super easy wrapping and cleanup, and no trash.

Your red walls are gorgeous! And that Nativity looks like it was amazing. Can you send your friends and their food my way next? ^_^

dondon009 said...

OMG the "male wrapped" Christmas present looks like one of mine; but actually this year I took the cowards way out and purchased gift bags and lots of tissue paper which kept tearing and became very annoying! Next year, gift cards all around.....

Your blog is wonderful; opening a window into your life, enhanced by photography.

I will return~

Wishing you and yours a New Year filled with JOY!

DON~

Lara said...

That bow looks claustrophobic. I want to rescue it! I love you red walls too. Your home is beatiful!

Josh said...

Sounds like you are having a wonderful holiday season along with some tasty goodies. Hope you have a fun night tonight.
Happy New Years!

sage said...

Spidergirl, may 2007 be good to you and yours.

Dagoth said...

Happy New Year Spider

Friends, food, family, gifts, bright colors, everything that is needed to make the holidays bright...

kimber said...

HAPPY NEW YEAR to you, Spider!

Gary said...

I have never had chili peppers stuffed with feta, but I would love to try them. I really enjoy jalapeno peppers sliced in half, their seeds and veins removed, then boiled a couple of minutes, cooled, and stuffed with cream cheese. Try them sometime. Yum.

Hageltoast said...

happy new year sweetp!!!

Pol* said...

Love it all!
Kitchen is looking fine.
Wrapping and delicatessen masterpieces.
Wow, D and H haven't changed a bit since highschool!
You highlighted the best parts of the Season. Food, friends and fun.

Crazy Me said...

Sounds like you had a great time. Happy New Year!

nicki said...

looks like a most excellent xmas :) good friends and good times :) hope you have a happy new year :)

blackcrag said...

I enjoyed seeing you and Kim, too, Spider.

And for the record, I am a very neat gift-wrapper, though I'll admit to using too much tape. not that much tape, but I could lighten up a little.

Of course, there were the books I gave out this year, two each to my sister and eldest niece. Those, I wrapped each book individually, then wrapped together as one present. I love doing things like that.